We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Hi all,

I‘m planning on riding to Iran on my bike with a friend of Mine. We’re both riding 750cc Honda Africa Twins. Now since there was a law officially banning motorcycles above 250cc from temporary importation we‘re obviously worried that we won’t make it in. I’ve found conflicting information as to how the law is being applied and if it is applied to foreign visitors at all. So if somebody could give some up to date information/ experience that’ll be much appreciated!

Many thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Tehran Province...
Level Contributor
188 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Hi

Im sure it’s banned for locals but I’m doubtful about foreigners

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

That’s great news, thanks. So would you say we should simply rock up at the border? I’m nervous because we’ve been notified by our Carnet issuing Automobile club that we probably won’t be allowed into the country since the Iranian traffic police has advised via the Iranian automobile club that big bikes won’t be allowed into the country. This has been quite recently (23.07.). But you’d say we’re still fine and the law won’t be enforced for foreigners? Again, many thanks for your help.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
87 posts
3. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

This was a false alarm, people are getting in with bigger bikes, no problem.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Good to know, thanks. I’ll report on our experience once we (hopefully) managed to get in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Just a brief update: made it across the Armenian-Iranian border today. No issues, all in under 3 hours. We were told to contact traffic police should we stay for more than 10 days. That’s it. So no border issues to speak of.

Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Awesome! Safe travels and have amazing experiences, good luck on your journey!!

Tehran, Iran
8 posts
7. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

also you can think about renting local motor bikes in Iran. visit following website for motor bike rent in Iran

www.iran-adventure.com

www.thepersianride.com

regards

8. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Hi! I'm now in Iran with my Adventure 990 and no problem withthat!

BR, Martins

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Hi dear Pual W

It has no problem and you can enter Iran easily, just don't forget the paper works.

Have fun

1 post
10. Re: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran

Hey. I am heading Iran through Turkey on may. I ride a 1.200 cc. It is really necessary to issue a carnet?

Thanks a lot

Reply to: Motorcycles Above 250cc in Iran
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted