We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

bahrain
7 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

Hi everyone,

I'm visiting Bahrain in July for the first time. I am a US Citizen and I have no idea if I need a travelers visa. Does anyone know if I need one? I hear different things about it. Some people tell me yes and others tell me no. My fiance who is now working there has no idea so I am turning to you for help. Also, any ideas on a decent hotel near the Bahrain Financial Harbour or maybe a room for rent? I might end up staying more time if I find a room for rent.

Thanks everyone.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

Greetings from Bahrain.

Check out the Gov't of Bahrain website re: Visa requirements at http://www.evisa.gov.bh/

If you want to be near the Financial Harbour, stay at the Regency Intercontinental, which is just across the road from there - about a 2 minute walk. It's across a main road, but there's a bridge or you can chance your luck with the traffic signals.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay - and if you didn't know already, it will be VERY hot and humid in July.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

Hi Guiselabadr,

As a US citizen you can obtain an automatic two-week tourist visa at the border in the airport on arrival for 5BD ($15). Cash only. Yes, they accept dollars. With this visa, you must leave the country within two weeks of arrival or pay a fine. Flying out for a couple hours to Dubai qualifies as leaving the country, and when you return to Bahrain later the same day, they will give you another 2 week visa for 5BD.

As an American you can also benefit from a 5-year 28-day multiple entry visa. This costs about 20 BD and takes about half a day to obtain. When you're here, arm yourself with all the patience you have and head down to the General Directorate of Nationality, Passports & Residence in Hoora. You will be shuttled from desk to desk endlessly and for no apparent reason, but keep pressing on; it's worth it. With this visa, you can come and go as you please in Bahrain for five years. You can stay for 28 days at a time and do not need to pay the 5BD every time you enter the country.

Regarding accommodation, I'd take a nice 5-star hotel for a couple of nights (try the Novotel al Dana). You'll need it after the long flight from the US. Then, when you're here, take some time and look around for a 1 bedroom flat with kitchen in Juffayr. You should be able to find something for around 30BD per night for a month-long stay. In July, you can also negotiate prices down quite a bit, so don't accept the first rate they give you.

Also, don't worry about distances here. Bahrain is so tiny, you can cross the whole country in less than 30 minutes.

Gruetzi

bahrain
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

SecretJourno Thank You for the info. I will definitely look into this hotel. It's exactly what I was looking for since my fiance works at the Bahrain Financial Harbour.

bahrain
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

Hi Gruetzi,

Thank you so much for the info about the visa. I wasn't exactly sure what I needed to do. But I hope you don't mind I have a few more questions. Can I obtain the visa from the US before I go to Bahrain? This way I don't have to stand in line and be shuffled from desk to desk. And what if when I'm in Bahrain I decide to stay for 3 or 6 mos, what kind of visa will I need? Is there a visa for this amount of time? I'm not exactly sure how long I will end up staying because I am going to visit my fiance and I might just want to stay longer with him.

Thank you

guiselabadr

Bahrain
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

You can obtain the 5-year visa prior to leaving the US. You need to contact the Bahraini embassy nearest to you. Time might be of an issue though, unless you live close enough to physically go there. Call them up and ask them how long it takes and whatever time frame they give you, double it. If you still have enough time, then get it before you go. Although you would miss one of the finer tourist attractions here on the island ... dealing with Bahraini bureaucracy!! :)

To stay longer, there is no tourist visa. You will need a work visa or you would need to create your own company or buy a house or something like that. And that is not just one day of shuffling paper uselessly from desk to desk, that takes months. Like many of us here, you will just have to spend at least one day shopping in Dubai's malls each month on a "visa run."

(I've been doing that for two years because they still haven't been able to sort out my work visa!)

Gruetzi

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

Hello guiselabadr,

Here is a website http://travel.state.gov/travel.

Look for Bahrain and gives you good information about Bahrain.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

This is a better website:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1001.html

bahrain
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

Gruetzy thank you again for the information. I was totally blind as to what I needed to do- you really helped me a lot. But after talking with my fiance and considerng the fact that the visa process might take longer, since I'm going to apply for it from the US, and because of the hot and humid weather, I think it be best to wait until October to visit instead. Do you know how the weather will be in October? Is it still very hot and humid?

bahrain
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

Boricua-one

Thanks for the websites. They helped a lot considering the fact that I have never traveled outside the US, I was totally blind!

Thanks again!

Bahrain
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Bahrain for 30 days or more

In October it's still warm enough to go swimming outside quite comfortably.

August: 115-120 degree (F) heat and 90 percent humidity.

October: 90-100 degrees and about 60 percent humidity.

October is definitely a better time to visit.

Gruetzi