We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

Which Jerash hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

Hi,

When I visited Ajloun a few days ago, looking north west from the castle there were some snow capped mountains. Does anyone know what these are called?

Amman
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

Mark

Are you sure that was snow? at this time of the year?? there is not one single mountain in that chain high enough to be snow capped , the highest mountain in Jordan is in Wadi Rum and i even doubt it has snow on top of it in the middle of winter too!

It must be a mirage or reflection of something else.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

Hi - well, I can't be 100% sure, but I'm looking at my photo now and it definitely looks like snow, and not at all like a reflection or any other possibility. As it was in Ajloun and looking north west, it could be in Israel, Syria or Lebanon? The mountains were very far back.

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

you looking North West, it is possible you where looking into Israel or the Golan heights !!!! not south as the OP mentioned (Jebel Um Adaami)..

if you post that photo on the net,,, give us a link,, that would be more helpful...

ciao

A99

Amman
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

it can be part of the of Israel's chain of mountains, Syria is still further ahead north and the same thing for Lebanon, the spot where you can see these 2 countries in a very clear day is around Umm Qais with the amazing view of the sea of Galilee.

Amman
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

From Ajlun the Golan heights are completely invisible.By car its about 1.5 hours drive so that takes that option out, the picture will solve this completely, and by the way tell us about your experience in Ajlun! what did you see, what was your opinion about it ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

I would love to post it but unfortunately I'm not that technologically savvy!

It looks very far away though so if it takes 1.5 hours to get to the Golan Heights I reckon it could be them...

In Ajlun I liked it. I spent probably about an hour in the castle, taking photos and admiring the view. Also this nice Jordanian guy lent me his binoculars and pointed out Palestine.

Then I went into the town and had a 2 minute walk through the market and also looked at the pinkish coloured mosque - my guide book said that it was built in the 14th century although it didn't look that old so I guess it's been heavily restored.

So yeah, it was well worth the trip. I think it was actually Aqaba99 that suggested that I go there after my visit to Jaresh, so thanks for recommending it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

Also, I thought it was rather funny to see people selling fruit and veg from inside their pick-up truck! Who needs a market stall when you have a pick-up!!!

Amman
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

And those merchants also travel among the neighborhoods selling their veggies and fruits with prices much much cheaper than shops or big markets, and if you noticed they cluster around mosques especially after the prayers, and for the record they sell the freshest produce ever!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

Cool! So is it true that the mosque was built in the 14th century?

Amman
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow capped mountains north west of Ajloun

Its almost 800 years old yes and the restoration began in 2007 to make it a tourist destination, and the only original part that's left is the base of the minaret.