We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan dead sea free swimming

Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Jordan dead sea free swimming

Asking for direction from the expert here.

I read there are Herodus spring about 10km south of the resort area, where is it exactly on google map? Is it north or south of Sehatty Resort? Or in south of O Beach resort and north of Ma'in hot spring? I found it a bit absurd to pay more than 15 JD to just get the experience and swim less than 10 minutes. I see people talking about dirty and a lot of flies even at the resort, so I don't mind about going to the free site especially on a regular working days.

36 replies to this topic
Amman
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
1. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

Location is here: 31°35'50.11"N 35°33'34.87"E

There are various other locations with less people, but no fresh water to rinse of.

Edited: 12:25 pm, January 16, 2017
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

you're awesome, so is the free spring is still on the west of the road? Thank you again for your help.

Amman
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
3. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

The spring is on the east side, the ruins (not much to see) on the west side.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

Since we wanted to try swimming in the Dead Sea, but not spend a whole day or a lot of money on entrance tickets to beaches, we chose this option and its good.

The swimming spot is located on the main Dead Sea road just next to the road turning towards the Sehatty resort. You can park your car next to the road and go down on foot via a path. Possibly you will see other cars already parked as the spot is visited by Jordanian families.

The sea is close, about 5 minutes down the path. At the middle of the path on your right there is a sort of waterfall from the canal in which the creek runs, which will be useful on your way back to wash the salt from your body. The beach is accessible enough, and there is mud from the creek if you want a mud bath.

Its perfectly OK to come and enjoy, just keep in mind local customs and if you are female swim in long pants/shirt.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
575 reviews
286 helpful votes
5. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

Thanks for the info, we went to the Dead Sea today and swam at a location a few kilometers south of Herodus Spring as it was too busy being a Friday. It is at the next major bridge on the highway. There is a small spring with fresh water flowing under the bridge which is ok for rinsing off. The beach is somewhat secluded and free for anyone to use. The hotel we stayed at were unwilling to arrange this trip unless we went to the resort beach. After asking around we ended up talking to the manager of the Queen Ayola hotel who drove us there in his car. We had an hour or so of swimming (we could have had longer if we wanted) and detoured home via Mt Nebo. Total cost 30JD. Do not listen to anyone who tells you it is not permissible to swim at these areas. It is perfectly fine. We had a far better experience and did not waste money on resort entrance fees.

Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

Glad you guys find it, my wife and I did go there and spent couple of minutes only, and go back to Madaba (we drive ourself) via Sehatty Resort road, it was pretty scary and dangerous road (very uphill and small) but the view from the top is spectacular (looking down the dead sea), if you still there, try it out, you won’t regret it).

Amman
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
7. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

@Karolus: the road is a bit scary, but certainly not dangerous.

Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

might exaggerating a bit :) but it was small and wonder how it’ll fit if there is another car driving down at that time. If I remember correctly, there is no road guard rail?

Amman
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
9. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

Of course not :-)

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
575 reviews
286 helpful votes
10. Re: Jordan dead sea free swimming

We need to get Herodus Spring added as an attraction on Trip Advisor to make it easier for future travelers.

Reply to: Jordan dead sea free swimming
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dead Sea Region