We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol in Jordan

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol in Jordan

I hesitate to ask this, but what's the position regarding alcoholic drinks in Jordan? I quite enjoy the odd glass of wine with a meal - will I feel stigmatised as a lone female asking for this? Can one sit outside in the evening and enjoy a glass before bedtime or is it frowned upon for females?

I know blokes can go into hotel bars and order a beer - but what about women?

(don't get me wrong, I can quite well go without the stuff, its just something I'd like to know).

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

Alcohlic drinks available only available at 4/5 star hotels in general in Jordan It is normall for a lady to drink at the bar in these establishments.

there are few bars ,restaurants and N/clubs that serve alcoholic drinks but they are limited.

there are stores that sells AD in Amman and downtown and Jebal Amman where you can take your drink to your hotel room .discreetly..Some hotels have a ban on drinking AD

cheers

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

as SFB mentioned, having a glass of wine with your diner is not a crime, and there is no reason for you to feel " stigmatised".

most places serve wine by the glass, or a 2 glass decanter,, or the baby bottles ( 37.5ml).

ciao

A99

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

The Christian managed hotesl in Madaba make no difficulty about serving wine, beer, etc. They usually have a bar.

As sfb says, elsewhere only the larger hotels serve "liquor" but don't mind if you drink it discreetly.

If you do buy a bottle outside and want to drink it in the hotel, be careful, if you drink in the public rooms, the hotel might charge you a corkage fee. if you drink in your room there is no prob

Amman
Level Contributor
105 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

yes i agree the following answer .... if you used to drink win you can buy from the liquor shop and drink in your room ... there is many liquor shop in Amman - Aqaba - Madaba and 1 Mall in Amman ... CHEERS

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

this is absurd , jordan is a civilized place , i lived there for so many years & i always had a drink in me hand

theres absolutely no problem DancingBarb !

though only in Ramadan the liquor stores closes for the month , anyway u may find the locally produced alchole , such as Vega vodka ! the 5ooml cost less than 10 JD's & its as good as absolute

as well as the wine

& you may go to the bars in jabal amman (first square) & drink at the bars there

or u can take your bottle with u to the restaurant

oh btw , most of the liquor stores in amman deliver alcohol & other products they sell

enjoy ur stay , cant wait to visit jordan soon

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

While we're on subject, could anyone please confirm that customs rules allow bringing alcohol into Jordan?

Thanks a iot.

P.S. and yes, I'm aware of its consumption etiquette.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

hey cora_v

i really dont know how much is the limit , though they would tell you at the duty free wherever ur traveling from

how much u may take !

though last time i went to jordan i had 5 bottles of wine in my luggage & i bought 2 more at duty free while i had a transit in istanbul

though u may only buy one litter of alcohol at the jordanian duty free , one pack of cigs & only 2 perfumes but unlimited chocolate !

btw there's another duty free in the city , behind the 5th square were u can buy another litter of alcohol for cheap , & u may only shop there once

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

Thanks a lot for the detailed response, Lahkesis :)

My five guidebooks say 1l of alcohol and 2l of wine, while LP only mentions 1l of alcohol.

That's anyway all I need. Just wanted to make sure the rules didn't change.

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

Hi Cora_v, last year we brought in 2L (1L each) of spirits from Gatwick, UK into Amman.

Enjoy

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol in Jordan

Cheers, Tigertribal :) Thanks for sharing your experience!