We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Females travelling to Jordan

Which Amman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
2 Females travelling to Jordan

My friend and I are both 26 and thinking of stopping over in Jordan for a weeks or so in December. Do you think it is safe for us to travel independently there? Does anybody have any tips?

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

go ahead don't be afraid

Orange County...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

You shouldn't have any problems. Jordan is very open to tourist. What nationality are you both?

I recommend Perta (day hike and up the stairs to the The Deir) and Wadi Rum (over night in the Desert) as places to visit. Also, if you can afford it, stay at one of the hotels (~$150 USD) on the dead sea and enjoy the 'once-in-the-life-time' experience floating on the sea and having a mud bath.

Sydney
Level Contributor
872 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

Jordan is really wonderful. I was there in December, not long after the bombings in Amman. But I have to say that I think the bombings in some way made it safer as there was so much security around.

I was with a small group - 14 people - but was a lone mature aged female with this group. I went out many times by myself in the night and day and actually felt very safe as I found the Muslim population was very protective of females.

I started in Aqaba, went on to Wadi Rum where you simply must spend some time with the Bedouins (this being Lawrence of Arabia country), then to Petra (amazing) and on to the Dead Sea. I personally was a bit disappointed with the Dead Sea, but ...

Then I went on to Dana Reserve, Madaba with its mosaics, Mt Nebo (think of Moses leading the people into the promised land) and then to Amman from where we went to Jerash which has the most amazing Roman ruins - also the most fantastic hand made glassware.

Go, go, go to Jordan. One good thing is that the tourist numbers are down and it is great because of this.

If you wish to know anything else, just ask.

Sydney
Level Contributor
872 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

I meant to add, do, of course, dress appropriately - no short shorts or bare midriffs. You will find it better in trousers and shirts - cooler also!

CO
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

I think you will be fine there; there are a lot of beautiful sites to visit in Jordan. STWS along with other wrote some good reports about Jordan. Petra, Wadi Rum, Madaba, Jerash, umm Quais and the Dead Sea are a “must”. December is pretty cold in Jordan, maybe some rain and the desert part (in the Southern part of the country could get very cold) The nice thing about your time is that few tourist are visiting Jordan in December which means you should be able to get better prices with the hotels.

Good luck

WS

canton,michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

you'll have a great time. jordan is very safe and westernlized. must go to the dead sea and aquaba with temps in the mid 70ths. take a float in the dead sea. enjoy. in amman and other citiesyou need seater and a coat in december. no problem with cooked food. stay away from raw vegtables except at well respected resturants. negotiate the prices at shops.

NY
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

It is 100% safe.

aqmman
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

yes its great to be here specially in amman and other places .

i'm living here in amman since 17 years and its the most safe place i have ever seen specially for foriegners .

ppl here are so polite and respectful

u can have the chance to get the most expensive and the cheap hotel and they r good although they are cheap .

the transportation here is cheap also that u can say travelling from amman to aqaba will cosy u about 8 us dollar for 330 km

if u like u can writ to me on

omarengineer@hotmail.com

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

Visit www.jordanjubilee.com which is written by a lady who has been traveling to Jordan on her own for over 20 years.

My partner and I based our entire independent visit there, based on the information on this site.

Toronto
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Females travelling to Jordan

Just came back last week. I am in my early 30's. Independent travel not bad. I would not stay in a 2 star hotel. 3 star or higher for security. Cabs pretty honest. Levels of English were pretty good as well. Respect the modest dress code and you will be fine. 90% of local ladies you will see have hair covered/body covered. The ones with hair showing are wearing pant shirt combinations. Tourist sites are a bit more relaxed. You can get away wearing tee shirts and capri pants. My friend and I some rude comments from teenage boys in Aqaba who probably watch too much TV. We couldnt have been wearing more clothing! Teen boys Ugh!

FYI. The sun is so flaming hot you are better off being covered anyhow!

Top things to see: Wadi Rum, Petra, Petra by night.