We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day in Amman

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
207 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Half day in Amman

I will have a half day beginning around 2-3 p.m in Amman before joining a small tour group the next morning. I would like to use the time seeing the Jordan Archeological Museum (Dead Sea Scrolls) and the Citadel. Also Kan Zaman Village in the early evening. I've been told taxis can be dangerous for Americans traveling alone and that I should arrange for a private driver.

What kind of expense should I expect for a driver? Are there any other must see sights in the city I should (could) add to this itinerary?

Jordan Select Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Jordan Direct Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Archaeology Tours
Petra Nights Tours
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours
Zaid Tours and Travel
Day Trips, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
651 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day in Amman

Four of us were in Amman just a week ago. Our driver was obtained through a tour agency but he also does free-lance and I would certainly recommend him. He's friendly, drives safely and speaks English well. I am not sure what he would charge on his own, but his email is lewi_2wady@yahoo.com. You should be aware that the museum closes around 4:30 and the Citadel around the same time. There is also a small roman amplitheater that we enjoyed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,713 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day in Amman

Depending where you are staying, most hotels will organize a private driver for you. We actually just used a taxi driver who worked for our hotel and he was fantastic. Everyone is extremely friendly in Amman and we had absolutely no problems.

Level Contributor
887 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day in Amman

I would try also to see Jerash while I was there if your group does not have this included in their itinerary. It is wonderful!

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Half day in Amman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 15, 2009