We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

Hi all

I am looking to travel from to Petra next month but have no idea how to make my way into Israel from there; I believe I need to go to Aqaba and cross the border there. Is that correct? Are there buses between Petra and Aqaba and do they run regularly? Also how long does it take to cross the border there, I have some trepidations about the bureaucracy and the stern Israeli's, nothing against them in general but the Israeli officials can be damn tedious- especially if you are a woman travelling alone (thinking you are a terrorist). Any advice you can give greatly appreciated

Petra
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

The easiest way is indeed to go to Aqaba, transfer time is about 2 hours. There are several local minibuses every morning, except on Fridays. You will need a taxi from the bus station in Aqaba to the border, this shouldn't cost more than 10 JOD. A direct taxi from Wadi Musa to the Aqaba border would cost around 40 JOD. This border crossing has the reputation of being "easy and fast" it shouldn't take more than half an hour to cross. Have a great time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

Thanks very much for this Patricia!

Best wishes

Francine

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,349 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

The "reputation" of a women traveling alone being a problem comes from??? It is something that I have never heard of and neither have the many many single female travelers that we help on the Israeli forum.

Assuming you are a tourist with nothing to hide I suggest you relax. Israeli security is trained to read body language. If you get to the border all tense and expecting a difficult time your body language will reveal this. You will then have the difficult time while they ascertain that you are just nervous.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

RDGlady, I have travelled to Israel before and was met at the aircraft upon arrival, taken aside, and barked at by an Israeli official demanding to know the reasons what business I had in Israel. Upon departure I got more or less the same delicate treatment. For your information, women travelling alone are often seen as drug couriers or terrorists- it happened to me in Peru as well. Aside from women travelling alone in Israel, there are many tourists (men and women alike) who have had less than enjoyable experiences at Israeli airports when they were asked to remove camera films, have their shoes soles checked, etc.

For your info, I have travelled alone extensively during my life and am part Jewish myself. Nothing in it for me to talk down Israeli's as you will understand. Relax.

Edited: 4:47 am, September 11, 2013
Vence, France
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

I am doing a similar trip this month (Feb 2014). After being in Petra a night, I will spend one night in Aqaba, then take a taxi to the border to go to Eilat, where I have booked a car rental to enjoy Israel. I am also a woman traveling alone and it is a first trip to the region. I understand I can get an Israeli visa on arrival at the border crossing as a U.S. citizen, correct? Thanks everyone for all this good information, and please write further if you have any tips about making this leg of the journey.

6. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:34 am, May 28, 2014
Miami, Florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

Laura, I am planning the same crossing in early march. Curious to know how it goes for you.Would you kindly share your experience? In addition, I have a question. I have booked a car that will take me from petra to the border. After crossing, i want to go to eilat airport. Would i be able to get a cab right after crossing into israel? How much would it cost? Might I be able to pay the cab in dollars?

Thanks for your insight.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

Cabs usually wait outside the Israeli border terminal, and if not - ask the information office to call one for you.

The ride to Eilat airport (code: ETH) is less than 10 minutes ride, taxi price should be around 35 NIS.

The currency in Israel is the Shekel (New Israeli Shekel), no foreign currency accepted. It might happen that the taxi driver will be willing to get your USD, but for an awful exchange rate - so just exchange to Israeli currency.

Miami, Florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

thank you so much... would i be able to exchange right after crossing into israel? or would i be able to exchange in petra?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Petra to Aqaba and crossing to Israel...

Yes, you can exchange at the Israeli border terminal - there is an exchange service there.