We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan ( & Israel)

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Jordan ( & Israel)

Hi all,

My husband & I are planning a trip to Israel & Jordan in mid september this year, our first time in the region.

We had planned to land in Tel Aviv before visiting Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Lake Galilee & then go to Petra & spend a week in Jordan & fly home from Amman. We are both seasoned travellers and had hoped to do it all ourselves.

My questions are:

1.How many days do I need in Petra?

2. Any recommendations for other things to see in Jordan? We hoped to spend a week in Israel & a week in Jordan.

3.Is it worth doing the dead sea on both sides (israel & jordan) or is one side far superior?

4.We would also love a night in the desert, does this have to be through an organised tour, can anyone recommend any tour companies?

Many thanks :)

Petra
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan ( & Israel)

Hi,

1. With 2 full days in Petra you can see most of the monuments, Siq, Treasury, everything in the valley, Royal Tombs, and you can do both climbs to the Monastery and the High Place of Sacrifice. And if that's still not enough you can climb the steps up to the viewpoint where you can see the Treasury from the top, they start right behind the Royal Tombs.

2. With a week in Jordan you can do Wadi Rum, Petra, drive North via the King's Way with a visit to Karak Castle along the way and site like Jerash, Ajloun and even Umm Qais in the North.

3. I haven't been to the Israeli side of the Dead Sea so I can't comment on which side is better but I don't think you will feel the need to do that twice, unless you liked it so much the first time and you just want a relaxed day at the Dead Sea on the other side as well.

4. Check out the camps here on TripAdvisor (Specialty Lodging) and see which one you like (read the reviews posted by frequent reviewers, ignore the first time reviewers as they might be fake), most of these camps have their own website, you can contact them and book directly with them.

Have a great time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan ( & Israel)

Are you planning to cross from Israel to Jordan at the Arava border crossing, near Eilat/Aqaba?

Since you're ending your trip in Israel in the Galilee region, it would be wiser to cross at the "Jordan River"/"Sheikh Hussein Bridge" crossing near Beit She'an (not far from Tiberias and the Sea of Galilee) start your tour from northern Jordan and visit Petra later on the week.

3. I agree, I think there's no point to visiting the Dead Sea from both sides, it's the same sea. However, you may want to visit Masada National Park (also an UNESCO World Hertiage site) and the nearby Ein Gedi Oasis, both located on the Israeli side.

4. I would suggest to have 2 days in the desert with that one night. There are many options in the Israeli Negev, I invite you to post a question about it in the Israeli forum, to get some advices.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan ( & Israel)

Hello,

In one week you can visit many interesting places in Jordan like Wadi Rum, Jerash, Ajloun, Umm Qais, Madaba, Mt Nebo, Dana Village, Baptism Site, Dead Sea, Amman.

If you want a relaxing day then go ahead with Dead Sea or you can visit other place like Hammamat Main Hot Spring and the Dead Sea Panorama Complex.

Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jordan ( & Israel)

Hi all,

Thank you for your helpful responses.

I hadnt really thought of where to cross the border, but yes I guess it would make sense to cross in the north near Galilee, although annoyingly I had thought of flying home from Amman, so I would have to go back up from Petra..this is doable though.

Thank you, lots to plan :)

5. Re: Jordan ( & Israel)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 02, 2014