We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra Guide and Homestay with local family!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Petra Guide and Homestay with local family!

Hi Everyone. I want to recommend Hmed Al-hmaden and his family to you if you visit Petra.

Hmed is one of the horse drivers for Petra and I met him when I lost my phone after riding a bit fast up and down the path that leads to the opening of the Siq/tall canyon that leads to the Treasury. He was so kind and helped hard to find my phone (to no avail) and then accompanied me and guided me for 25km of Petra taking in all major sites. It's easy to get losts or walk too far if you are trying to see all the major sites and views in one day, so I would recommend a guide or at least a good trail map if there is one? not sure if there are Petra trail maps?). He really knew the back routes and some secret views (for example taking me along a little known trail to view the Treasury from "up high"). Make sure you have or buy lots of water as you will walk a lot that day,,and have some extra dinars for a donkey, camel, carriage if need be. I took a donkey for 5 JD return (so up and down) to the Monastery. It was worth it after having already walked 20km.

After leaving Petra, Hmed arranged for a wonderful friend of his to drive us to his home in Wadi Musa where I met his lovely young wife (who speaks NO English but is awesome) and their 3 kids. We had a wonderful meal together on the floor of rice and chicken and Coke:) And then his wife did my make-up and dressed me in local Bedouin clothing including veil and shoes:) After this several members of their family came over for tea and coffee and it was such a lively, real-life scene:) such fun! After this Hmed and his friend took me out to a convenience store and bought provisions for Bedouin tea and we drove out to Little Petra and made a fire and tea and candles in the canyon/desert under the stars. Hmed's family asked if I would like to sleep over but I had already booked into a hotel.

I can whole-heartedly recommend this gentle man (English is about low intermediate) as a guide throughout the maze of Petra and staying with his family in their simple, humble abode will be a highlight of your trip to Jordan:)

haysville,kansas
Level Contributor
325 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra Guide and Homestay with local family!

I enjoyed reading your report. Sounds like you made many life long memories.

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra Guide and Homestay with local family!

Be careful or you might get hooked! I started out by visiting Jordan for a week and ran into exactly this situation. Thirty years later, I am still visiting!!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra Guide and Homestay with local family!

It was nice to know that you had fun. Even though you lost your phone(which can be replaced), in return you met people who are helpful and kind. You had made such a wonderful memory and connection with that family. :-)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra Guide and Homestay with local family!

HI Everyone! Hmed's email address is: hmed_asre_petra@hotmail.com

5. Re: Petra Guide and Homestay with local family!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 11, 2014