We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guided tour SCAM in Petra

1 post
guided tour SCAM in Petra

I've been to Petra with my boyfriend and want to report a scam on which we fell victim to.

After we entered and were approaching the site, a young man walked up to us and offered a guided tour on the mountain trail. He said he had a horse so we could choose between going on horseback or on foot.

He was quite pushy, he said without him we won't have enough time to see all the attractions of Petra since we don't have enough time. After hesitating a bit we decided to go with him and walk on the mountain trail to see Petra from above. Before we left we agreed that we'll pay 30 JOD for the tour. We didn't have enough cash on us so we also discussed that we'll need to use an ATM later on.

He didn't tell us that there won't be a proper hiking trail so it was a bit shocking to do it without wearing appropriate hiking shoes but we followed him. He took us to the spot where we saw the Treasury from above and we had tea in one of the caves up on the mountains.

When the hike was about to end our guide said that tipping is very important and we should be very generous. He took us to Mövenpick Resort where we used the ATM. We discussed with my boyfriend that we'll give him 45 JOD.

When my boyfriend wanted to give him the money he freaked out and said that he spent the whole day with us and he wants more money, 150-200 JOD. He became very aggressive (luckily only verbally) and wanted to force us to give him more money. At this point, a car stopped near us and it was obvious that he has his friends in the car so I felt very unsafe and told my boyfriend that stop arguing with him and let him go. We gave 60 JOD (which he said is the least amount) and once he had our money he disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Be aware of these scammers and ALWAYS refuse to accept their guided tours.

7 replies to this topic
Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
14,110 posts
41 reviews
90 helpful votes
1. Re: guided tour SCAM in Petra

thanks for sharing you bad experience at petra. i hope it did not leave a sour taste in your mouths

a word of advice DNT go with any tour guide outside the petra ticket office the official TGs you be taking risk

cheers

raymond

amman free walking tour and night tour

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa, Amman
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
29 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: guided tour SCAM in Petra

I'm very sorry that this happened to you and unfortunately you are not the only one. The only way to avoid this is to stop accepting offers like this. I realize that by doing this the good guys will be punished as well but hopefully like that they will be forced to sort out the problem from within.

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
1 review
3. Re: guided tour SCAM in Petra

Thank you very much for sharing...

As Patricia said stop accepting offers like this, and never go with ANY guide outside "Petra visitors center".

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
22 posts
4. Re: guided tour SCAM in Petra

I'm sorry to hear this. Actually, I have some good experience with locals who have taken me to interesting places off the beaten road, e.g. the small siq and the water tunnel. Perhaps I will come back with a phone no. if I can find it.

I make it very clear how much I or we intend to pay altogether, including the tips, and in which currency, and that I am not going to pay extra tips for the donkey, if any:-) I have the money ready befotr the end of the trip and pay quickly after it, in a safe place, say thank you, good bye and leave immediately. But I know that some of these guys can be scary. However, I rely on my intuition and don't show any sign of hesitation.

Edited: 5:07 pm, July 18, 2019
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
375 posts
128 reviews
53 helpful votes
5. Re: guided tour SCAM in Petra

My wife and I will be in Petra this December and are looking for a local guide to show us around. I would appreciate a referral from anyone who know of one.

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
14,110 posts
41 reviews
90 helpful votes
6. Re: guided tour SCAM in Petra

you need a guide hire one from visitors center its the only way price on the board

raymond

amman free walking tour and night tour

Odense
Level Contributor
474 posts
25 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: guided tour SCAM in Petra

In you are very much into history and details about Petra, any professional guide from the Visitors' Centre will do. They have a good level of knowledge. However, much of the adventure can be experienced without a guide, just with a guide book in your hand. There are information boards at many of the sites.

Reply to: guided tour SCAM in Petra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted