We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea Questions

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Dead Sea Questions

The maps in the Dead Sea area are confusing to me!

I see the Dead Sea (a main body of water) and then I see a smaller body of water south of that. In the southern and separate "body", I see Ein Bokek and Neve Zohar. The northern (main body) includes Ein Gedi and goes north into the West Bank and Jordan.

Few Questions:

1. Is the southern body (with Ein Bokek and Neve Zohar) part of the Dead Sea?

2. I see a "Dead Sea Spa" in the main (northern and larger) body just south of Ein Gedi. Can one swim there? How does it compare to the southern body (Ein Bokek and Neve Zohar)?

3. For a 1.5 day stay in the Dead Sea area - in the summer - with the goal being seeing the sights (Masada, EIn Gedi and Dead Sea - including a swim in the sea)...do you recommend staying in:

- Ein Gedi and venturing to see the sights (above), or

- Ein Bokek and venturing to see the sights (above), or

- Neve Zohar and venturing to see the sights (above)

Thank you

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea Questions

Those 2 bodies of what you see as water are the Dead Sea. It became 2 parts because of the explotation of the Dead Sea minerals. Swim??? I am not sure what one can do in that water is swim. One can float on the water, but not swim as the water is heavy and full of minerals. If you have an open wound, even a small one it will hurt. Don't splash the water and be careful not to get it in your eyes.

You can stay wherever you want. You need some kind of transportation is you don't have a car. There is public transport, but not on Saturday. Where you stay depends on what your budjet is. The hotels in Ein Bokek are 4-5 stars and expensive.

1.5 days - 1/2 a day is Massada, do it as early as you can. What do you want to see there beside Massada? Hiking in the summer might be too difficult. Still you can see the lower parts of the natural reserves.

Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea Questions

Is it better then to "float" in the northern (main) body near the Dead Sea Spa or at Ein Bokek or Neve Zohar??

Is our timing right? I figure 1/2 day for Masada, 1/2 day for Ein Gedi and 1/2 day for "floating"/observing.

What are your thoughts on points 2 and 3, above.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,229 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea Questions

I think your timing is right. You can actually do this in one day on a day trip from Jerusalem, but a day and a half means it will be less harried. For what it's worth, I'd stay at Ein Gedi in one of the arugot rooms (the highest level, but still not posh). But if you really want that cushy spa experience (and I don't mean that negatively), then the Ein Bokek hotels would be the better bet, from what I understand.

The Dead Sea experience is this: you walk out until it's about waist deep, then sit back into it. You float in this position. Shoshi is right; you don't "swim"; you just bob for a while. In all honesty, that will only last a short while. Some of the places, such as the Ein Gedi spa (which is VERY basic) also have sulphur baths and a fresh water pool.

I hope that helps clarify.

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea Questions

As I said before, it depends very much what you want and can do. It will be hot, about 32-35 Celcius, and dry. The "swimming' will be short, you can stay in the sun, you don't burn there so easily because of the extra air layer, remember? -400 meters under sea level, but it will be hot. You can tour the natural reserves where you might see a waterfall too with a small pool under it. But you might like some sulphur baths and Spa at one of the more upgrade hotels in Ein Bokek. There is a small commericial center there. Try the Ha'ava cosmetics. The products are of good quality. Maybe one is reluctant to change his/her facials but you can get their hand and foot products, especially those for the foot are very good, the Dermud line.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea Questions

I forgot a few remarks:

1. Have a water bottle with you all the time, and make sure you drink enough. I mean WATER not coke or other stuff. Other breverages are extras for meals and fun. As you don't sweat you have no idea how much water your body is loosing.

2. Swin where you have an official beach with showers and other facilities. Don't go into the water at other places, even if it can be done. Remember - you are a tourist and don't know the place. I don't know of any dangers but I think one should be careful. Choose the beach you like best.

3. Just before you go post here again (if you like of course) and we can check if there is any cultural event the night you will spend there. Hotels have their own programs but sometimes there are other events too.

Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea Questions

Thanks very much - and final question...

Which "bobbing areas" (swimming area) is best?

"Dead Sea Spa" in the main (northern and larger) body just south of Ein Gedi or Ein Bokek or Neve Zohar?

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea Questions

I am not sure but I remember that there are 2 "beaches". One at Ein Gedi and one in Ein Bokek. Maybe a third one a bit south of Ein Bokek. I was there about 3 years in one of the Ein Bokek hotels. I have used both along he years, the Ein Bokek more often when my kids were younger, and that is a long time ago. If I remember well the Ein Bokek is nicer with better facilities, but this might have changed, making Ein Gedi fine too. The parking lot at Ein Gedi was larger and there were more picnic tables. Some hotels have their own beach, like hotel Lot. See another post on the forum, the one discussing the Jordanian side of the Dead Sea.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea Questions

As I said in the Dead Sea regions forum this morning:

"On the Israeli side, the hotel I like most is the "Lot Spa Hotel" in Ein Bokek (http://www.lothotel.co.il/) It is one of the smaller hotels on the Israeli side, and from the outside it does not seem to be something special. But once you enter the doors, you get a feeling of home away from home: Everything is very nice, very clean. The restaurants are excellent (try the great fresh salad plates!) and the service is very friendly (something you can't get for granted in some Israeli hotels). The pool area is very nice. And the best thing is.... They have set up a SANDY (!!!) beach on the shore of the Dead sea. Thus no painful barefoot climbing over stones before getting into the water. Enjoy!"

Matzchik

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dead Sea Questions

Here is what Matzchik wrote:

On the Israeli side, the hotel I like most is the "Lot Spa Hotel" in Ein Bokek (http://www.lothotel.co.il/) It is one of the smaller hotels on the Israeli side, and from the outside it does not seem to be something special. But once you enter the doors, you get a feeling of home away from home: Everything is very nice, very clean. The restaurants are excellent (try the great fresh salad plates!) and the service is very friendly (something you can't get for granted in some Israeli hotels). The pool area is very nice. And the best thing is.... They have set up a SANDY (!!!) beach on the shore of the Dead sea. Thus no painful barefoot climbing over stones before getting into the water. Enjoy!

Freinds lawyers on this forum: If I quote does it violate his intellectual properties rights? I hope you don't mind Matzchik. What a name!!!

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dead Sea Questions

WOW this is too much, what a coincidence.