We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Modern judaica in TA advice.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Modern judaica in TA advice.

First I just want to say its nice seeing that the regular posters are still here . You helped me so much on my last trip a year and a half ago and you didn't even know it.

I'm in TA for the next couple days and would like to find a unique mezuzah for my new house. I was told to go to old Jaffa. I'm at the Sheraton. Is there any advice somebody can give me ...a wee bit more specific? Either an actual gallery or at least an intersection that I could have a taxi take me to?

IM GOOD AT WANDERING AROUND. Just want to be in the right area to start. Not sure where a taxi would drop me if I don't mention a location.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

If you are still on town on Tuesday you can go to the Nahlat Binyamin Arts & Crafts market.

Edited: 5:39 am, March 30, 2014
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,717 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

Ask the driver to drop you off at the bottom if the steps just after the whale un Old Jaffa. The first stire on the right is a good place to start. Wander around the galleries until you find what you like. There are several with mezuzas. Galleries open around 10-11 a.m. and most close by 7. Sorry don't know names.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

"after the whale" ? Is this what you are referring to ?

http://goo.gl/maps/Zv9IM

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

During my last stay in Tel-Aviv I was impressed with the mezuzas at Adina Plastelina, Netiv HaMazalot 23, Jaffo, http://www.adinaplastelina.com/shop-4

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

I leave Wednesday ....will totally check the market out thanks for the heads up.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

Since you will be here on Tuesday I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of going to Nachalat Binyamin crafts fair - you will find a wide variety of items, styles, media, etc all on display and being sold by the craftspeople who made the items. You're sure to find something unique and "different" there.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

Thanks all for the advice. I wandered through the artists market today and met a few interesting characters. Found the perfect mezuza. It's really nice to have met the artist that created the piece you take home. I had no idea that this market existed right next to the Carmel market. I had a "mixed grill" pita from the stall 2/3rds the way down the Carmel market for din.. Great afternoon. Tripadvisor came through again.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Hamilton County, IN
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

I have a friend who has a studio in Neve Tzedek specializing in modern Judaica. Here's her website: http://www.lauracowan.com

Edited: 4:40 pm, April 11, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Neve Tzedek
Neve Tzedek
2,529 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

Found what I was looking for at the artists market earth girl....on a whim I clicked on your link just now. I was very impressed with her work. Incredible.

10. Re: Modern judaica in TA advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 17, 2015