We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv Trip Report

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Tel Aviv Trip Report

If you forget to set your alarm at night then you can expect to oversleep a little in the morning. But if you oversleep on holiday on a day that you are due to return a rental car then the result is that you miss breakfast in the hotel because you have to meet the car return deadline. But in Tel Aviv that isn't necessarily a bad thing. After returning our rental car we simply went onto the beachfront and bought a delicious Israel breakfast looking at the Mediterranean Sea, with the distinctive outline of Jaffa along the coastline! What more could anyone ask for. :) It was so good we lingered for a second cup of coffee. :) The promenade was alive with people and there was even a string ensemble in one place, entertaining passers-by with classical music.

Eventually we decided we needed to do something more constructive with our day so we walked up to Hayarkon Street and caught a taxi to Beit Hatsufsot (the Museum of the Diaspora). For anyone visiting Israel there is no use getting into a taxi and asking them to take you to the Museum of the Diaspora. We have mentioned this place to people who were fluent in English and they haven't known what we were talking about. The moment I say "Beit Hatfutsot" they recognise it despite my poor pronunciation.

I had planned a visit to two museums today, but Beit Hatfutsot was so interesting that we stayed there much longer than planned, taking heaps of photos. I loved the replicas of Synagogues from around the world and the depictions of daily life in different parts of the world - all so similar in some ways, but with distinct cultural and artistic flavours from different countries.

Finally we both felt we had reached "information overload" and were happy to exit and find the coffee shop. Yay! They cater for coeliacs and had gluten-free options. We were also intrigued to be served by Minnie Mouse (or was it a relative of Minnie? - the ears had spots), a wizard walked by, and a werewolf came and drank coffee near us. It was a good reminder that it was Purim and we have since seen plenty of other people dressed up for the occasion. :)

We decided we had run too short of time to go anywhere else so it was a good opportunity to return to our hotel and catch up on mundane things like washing clothes.

Thinking about our trip so far I realise we have a problem. We are only getting through about half the things on my list for each day. Does this mean we have to save up for another trip to Israel one day?

england
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Yes, return trips are mandatory!

Hope your back is ok and not giving you too much trouble

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Well I am not doing too badly thanks Dawn. I am not walking very fast because of back/leg issues, but the walking stick I bought for the more difficult parts of the trip is being used constantly and it's a fantastic help. I am keeping the pain level down by being really careful but I am concerned about being on a tour from Tuesday onwards. I won't be able to adjust our itinerary then like I am now. But I will just do as much as I can and I am sure I will love every minute of it. :)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Great report! I'm glad you're enjoying your relaxed visit :)

Purim wass today and also tomorrow in certain cities like Jerusalem. The "boom" sounds on cities when kids use those toys who make such noises (for Purim holiday) will probably stay for a couple days.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Thanks for the great read Heather! I get a new idea or discover something I had not thought of visiting each time I read one of your reports.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

And the Tel Aviv chapter begins. I love it and look forward to your adventures!

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Sounds like a delightful day. Don't stress about having overplanned. I'm sure you'll be back in the not-so-far future. ;-)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,082 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Glad you had a great day! Even though you have said that you do not know when you will return again, something tells me----you will find a way and it will be sooner rather than later!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,830 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Glad to hear you are continuing to have a great time and just going with the flow - after all plans are only made to be changed :)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

A couple of years ago I decided to plan a 3-day "home holiday" - we live in Jerusalem, but never have time to go do touristy things. So I planned a 3-day vacation in my home city, with my husband and three kids, then aged 19, 17 and 10. Being an avid TA reader and planner, you'd think that I could plan 3 days well, right? Well, I had planned 3 places to visit each day, starting about 10am and ending at about 5-6pm, including stops for lunch, and then dinner at a restaurant, as if we were really away. On no day did we get to see more than 2 of the places I had planned, and even then, the kids just wanted to collapse in front of the TV with an ice cream by 4 o'clock in the afternoon !!! At least we saved most of the planned restaurant cheques !! I must add that it was August ....

It's hard work being a tourist :) :)

Edited: 1:04 pm, March 17, 2014
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv Trip Report

Yes, it's definitely had work being a tourist! :)

Today was a port day. No, nothing to do with alcohol! We started off by going to the Port at Jaffa and visited those parts of it that weren't on tours we have been on. Up on the top of the hill is a gate dating back to the time of Pharaoh Ramses. Of course the original is in a museum, but there is a replica there and other excavations that are original around it. It is amazing that something built so long ago could still exist. The view from the top of the hill, whilst good, was not as good as I have seen from lower down on previous occasions because the mist was heavy.

We spent time in the church of St Peter which we had only seen from the outside on previous occasions, and enjoyed morning coffee at a nice cafe there.

Wandering down the hill brought us to the clock tower, and just down the road from there was the flea market. I didn't quite know what to expect here, but was rather disappointed. We ended up taking a taxi back to the other end of Tel Aviv to do some shopping.

The Port at the northern end of Tel Aviv was next on our agenda. We wondered around exploring for a while and had a very late lunch at one of the cafés there.

We decided to do the hop on hop off bus, and thought we had the time and location correct - we were certainly at a bus stop with the correct number on and which had a map of the route on a post there. Sadly the bus didn't materialise. After waiting a long time we decided that we would go back to our hotel and get our things packed up ready for the tour we join tomorrow evening.

The evening was lovely - meeting Pitzikat at Cafecafe at the port and having dinner together.