We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It seems like forever!

sarasota,FL
Level Contributor
175 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
It seems like forever!

Last year,during our usual yearly visit to Israel, we went on the March of Living. Through out Poland and all the places we hoped never were, to Israel and all the majesty that is. Our trip was organized thru MOTL and we were fortunate to choose an international group. It was emotional and the best experience possible. BUT...we didn't get to do "our thing" in Israel and now reading the Forum, I feel like I've never been! So many new hotels, new restaurants, I don't know how to start. We will arrive May 2 and stay till the 21. So my planning must begin.

First, we usually stay at the Melody in Tel Aviv, but it has fallen so many spots in the rankings, I am anxious to know why.

Second, so far the other hotels I've checked on TA seem to be full! Is that possible or is the computer on a glitch?

Third, since I pretty much followed Douglas' advice on prior trips, I must spend the next few hours going thru his posts and the others I relied on in the post.

The Last time we were on our own in Israel, we were delighted to spend time at a Destination Expert BBQ,hosted by Adam Sela. Then we went with him on his fascinating Negev adventure.

Can we duplicate another meet-up experience?. Shoshi actually drove us from the BBQ back to the Melody. I'm sure I didn't thank her enough. So sweet!

So, I guess my questions involve catching up with this fast growing (thankfully) country.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Poland
Poland
Europe
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It seems like forever!

Welcome back Moteman. For us independent travelers, going on a tour is a unique experience and has its pluses BUT I really understand your feeling of getting disconnected and not being able to do what you wanted. May is a busy time and for Tel Aviv, it would be a good idea to book asap. Many groups may have block bookings which will be released very shortly so don't think that just because something looks full now, that it won't have rooms available when you are ready to book.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Shoshi- what an amazing person she is. You can organize a meet up by suggesting a time and place. Once you have your itinerary in place, then it is just a matter of when and where and who can make it.

Happy planning,

Annette

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,419 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It seems like forever!

Hi Moteman, welcome back and say hi to the secretary too. Hopefully we'll meet again.

dallas
Level Contributor
442 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It seems like forever!

…..all this time I wrongly assumed Shoshi was a male,lol :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It seems like forever!

Moteman, so good to hear from you! Unfortunately, I will be departing from the US on the day you are leaving.

Some comments:

• I have updated my guide after my November 2013 trip -- if you want the updated version, write me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send it to you.

• I think the Melody is still fine. I like the Savoy a lot (closer to Jaffa); it's similar, so you might check that out. On my last trip and again on the one coming up, I stayed at a bigger hotel near the Melody called the Herods, and really liked it. More expensive, but see what rates Chantal can get you. Yes, book soon.

• I hope you can connect with folks! I'm forgoing TA dinners on this upcoming trip because Brett is not much for big groups, especially when he does not know them. (Brett is my partner of 29 years, and he is coming with me for the first time since 1999!) I'm sure I'll connect with Shoshi and her husband, though -- you know what a lovely gem she is.

Have a great return trip!

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It seems like forever!

I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings. First of all, many new smaller hotels have sprung up in Tel Aviv over the past few years. It is possible they are outranking the Melody without the Melody changing for the worse. Secondly, Trip Advisor's ranking algorithm may not be optimal.

sarasota,FL
Level Contributor
175 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It seems like forever!

Good for you! I'm sorry we will miss you, but you will have excellent company,and hopefully, all bright cool days and peace.

Barbara&Mort

7. Re: It seems like forever!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 18, 2015