We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor to Tel Aviv

London
1 post
Save Topic
First time visitor to Tel Aviv

Hello,

I'm thinking of going to Tel Aviv this summer as it sounds like a great place with lots of things to do.

I'm an english female travelling alone (non-jewish) and just wanted to know if this is going to be ok (I'm sure it would be). Are people easy to chat to?

Also, what is the best time of year to go (I can't stand temperatures over about 32 degrees.)

Would one week be enough if I wanted to visit the cultural places, as well as sunbathe and shop? I'm not sure what elsed there is to do outside, near by Tel Aviv, so if there is anywhere that is worth visiting, please mention it. (I've heard Jaffa is good).

Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor to Tel Aviv

I guess you'll get lots of replies. I will start by saying that there is no problem for a woman to travel alone in Israel. People are friendly.

I think you might find that if you sit alone on the beach, some of them might get too friendly.

If you can postpone your vacation, I would not come to israel during July, August and September, these are the worst months to visit.

Not only is it hot but the humidity is the main problem.

One week is really not enough if you want to see places, sunbath

and shop. But assuming this is all you got, I would suggest you

start with Jerusalem (2 nights) 2 days of touring Ceasarea,Haifa

Megido, Nazereth and Tiberias and the rest of the time i.e.2-3

nights left for Tel Aviv and Jaffa. This will give you the time to relax on the beach, tour Jaffa and do some shopping.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor to Tel Aviv

Summer will be hot and humid. I was there in early June, and it was quite warm.

The people in Israel and Tel Aviv are incredibly friendly and helpful, and curious but blunt -- not rude at all, just very direct, which I appreciate. As a non-Jewish female, solo for half my trip, I never had a problem and had lovely conversations with Israeli men and women at the drop of a hat (but then I'm ...comfortably middle aged) except one taxi driver who openly and persistently propositioned me -- he was so sweet and funny about it, and I was so startled, I couldn't stop laughing.

There is much to do and see -- and Israel is so small nothing is terribly far from anywhere, i.e., Jerusalem is an hour away -- I am sure a week will only whet your appetite. (Also, see our evolving Shopping Thread here before you go.)

Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor to Tel Aviv

Firstly, Israel is fantastic!Ijust returned from a group tour there and i stayed on afterwards in tel aviv and eilat. Eilat is fun with beaches but maybe too hot for you- if you choose to go there, however, there are safe coach buses that go for very cheap even on the sabbath!

As for TelAviv- it is my favorite place in ISrael! Tel Aviv never sleeps! Aweek will NOT be enough for allof Israel and if you do go to telaviv it would be a major shame not to see the rest of Israel, such as Jerusalem, Eilat, the Dead Sea, the Golan Heights etc. I went to Jaffa(i actually walked there from TelAviv beach! a quickish walk actually!)I t was a holiday though, so not much was happening there ,but I hear Jaffa is great when it is buzzing with a fantastic market!! The shoppping in Tel Aviv is fantastic too and do not miss Carmel Market and Shenkin street as well as the artist's market - marlkets close on Sabbath.

hope this helps and enjoy!!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,046 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor to Tel Aviv

Yes, Tel Aviv is hot during the summer but great fun. Places are air conditioned, taxis, buses, houses etc.. depends if you can get here at another time. Best time is October-May. Be carful not to get during Jewish holidays as hotels are full and expensive and places of interest closed. October 2006 is such a month, although weather will be fine. Holydays end mid October so from the 16th the "coast is clear".

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor to Tel Aviv

That's why I'm arriving on October 21, Shoshi. :-)

Douglas Duckett

6. Re: First time visitor to Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 14, 2009