We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
89 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

I am exploring air fares to Israel and found the best prices on Turkish Airlines. One option allows only 1 hour and 35 minutes transfer time between my plane's arrival at Ataturk and the departure of my next flight to Ben Gurion. Am really tempted to try to make it .

Has anyone out there transferred at Ataturk on their way to Ben Gurion on Turkish Airlines? Would it be in the same terminal -- a nearby gate?

Thanks for any help.

ET

Edited: 3:52 pm, October 28, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

Is it all on one ticket, or would you book them separately? If it is on one ticket, the implication is that it is possible to make this connection because they shouldn't sell such tickets otherwise. And in that case, if the first flight arrives late and you miss the second one, it is the airline's responsibility to look after you and put you on the next available flight.

If it is two separate tickets you're on your own. If that's the case, I wouldn't risk it.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,561 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

Shuffaluff's advice is right on - if you book through Turkish and they sell you this connection then they are responsible in case you don't make it.

I have flown with them from NY and ended up with an even shorter connection time due to a delay - I made it, even though the gates are nowhere near each other. You will get off the first flight and then have to go through security again for hand luggage, etc. Then, typically, you will have to make it to the absolute last gate and it is a big airport. Flights to Israel are very often relegated to the furthest gate (due to security concerns). Your luggage may not make it (that's what happened to me) but they will get it to you the next day and deliver to your hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
89 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

Thank you both for your feedback. Yes, it is the same ticket -- from Boston to Ben Gurion through Istanbul. I may pack light to avoid any checked baggage on my way there. The layover is more accomodating on the way home -- which means I'll check my baggage.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

fly with air France same pricing less trouble

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

Turkish Air is a better company. Great service.

NJ
Level Contributor
557 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

I know someone that recently flew Turkish from JFK to TLV. The plane left JFK late so they missed their connection in Istanbul but they only had to wait a few hours for the next flight to TLV. Turkish has more than 1 flight a day from Istanbul to TLV. They said the service was good. Lots of people fly Turkish to Israel including many religious Jews and Turkish air and the Istanbul ariport is perfectly save. I would book with them even with only a 1.5 - 2 hour stopover. Chances are you'll make it.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,767 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

I would not chance such a short layover. If your inbound flight to Istanbul is late - and many times it is, you will find yourself on an unplanned layover in that city. Perhaps you would like to visit Istanbul for 12 or 24 hours but if your trip is short its not worth the risk. It is true that the airline us responsible to get you to your final destination, but do you want to worry about missing your connecting flight?

The above information is from the experiences of clients who chose to save some money... but ultimately ended up wasting precious time and money (Istanbul hotel paid for by airline on overnight delay).

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

Personally I only fly direct. BUT, I have a few friends who do fly Turkish Air. They have also made the tight connection. As Oreet indicated, there may be trouble with baggage making the same tight connection. I suggest you bring a change of clothes in your carryon and go for it.

In terms of Chana's concern of getting in and missing the connection...there are multiple flights each day. As long as you are not coming in for the last flight out--you should be okay. ( and yes, I know there has to be room for them to get you on the flight)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
392 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

You might make it (if your flight is ontime or if the connecting flight is late), but there is a good chance your luggage won't make it. Do you need that hassle? I don't think so ....

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkish Airlines to Ben Gurion - Sufficient transfer time?

We had a very short time between flights on one occasion when we went through Turkey but the plane between Turkey and Israel was El Al. It was all on one ticket. We made the flight, but our luggage didn't. El Al were fantastic though. When we went to the desk to find out what would happen with our luggage they gave us an overnight pack which had everything in it we could possibly need - pyjamas, toothbrush & paste, a set of shampoo/conditioner and other things, hairbrush and heaps more.

My husbands pack had shaving gear in it. Our luggage was sent yo our hotel the next day.

So if you do go that way and your luggage doesn't arrive then do see if the airline you arrive on does a similar pack.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Get answers to your questions about Tel Aviv