We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

We are 4 adults, with 8 pieces (2 of which are quite large) of luggage. Will a single taxi be able to accommodate us?

We are going to Shenkin St. , corner of Rothchild Ave. At 9:00 - 10:00 AM

Which is the better way to go - flat rate or meter?

How many passengers are included in the fare?

How many bags are included in the fare?

Does this hold for both flat rate and for meter?

What is the surcharge -

- per passenger?

- per bag?

Other?

Thanks

D

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,641 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

If you are going on a weekday the base fare is 144 NIS. This is good for 2 persons. For each additional passenger you will pay 4.90 NIS. No luggage is included - you will be charged 4.40 NIS per suitcase.

four adults can fit in one taxi - in a standard taxi it will be tight, but the dispatcher may also call for a larger vehicle and you will have to wait a few minutes.

Do not use the meter - traffic can be quite heavy and you will be in for an unpleasant surprise that way.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Oreets gave you excellent advice. Just wanted to confirm what she said.

South Pole
Level Contributor
43 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

How do you choose meter or flat rate?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,830 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

You tell them flat rate. The meter will end up costing more due to traffic. The flat rate is regulated. Talk to the dispatcher and he will tell the driver.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Thank you all for your replies.

Oreet - your response is spot on.

We arrived yesterday and things went precisely as described as far as rates and speaking with dispatcher.

One important addition is that YOU MUST VERIFY with the driver, what you think the dispatcher explained.

There was a bit of a 'misunderstanding' with the first driver we were assigned.

We were confirming the rate, and that we wanted the fixed rate. The driver advised a different rate. When asked, he said it was because we had two stops. We had actually given the street address and the crossing street and he 'mis-interpreted' this as going to two stops.

Not sure if something was lost in the 'translation', but we called the dispatcher over and he reviewed it with us and the driver again. The driver clearly was not happy and a new driver was assigned. He proved to be a gem.

In addition to the ride we were provided a history and geography lesson. We asked about the area in which we were staying vs. one we were considering moving to, and he told us about both locations. He was a joy to ride with.

We were charged precisely as Oreet outlined.

One other item - we had a substantial number of bags, and we knew those bags that could not fit in the trunk, but would be put in the rooftop luggage rack.

Having seen what could occur, mostly in movies, we were somewhat apprehensive. Have no fears. These drivers know what they are doing, and all bags arrived unscathed.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,641 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Thanks for coming back Dave and letting us know that all went smoothly.

Now - enjoy your visit - I'm sure it will be an amazing experience - come back later and tell us about it - we'd love to hear.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Post 5 Dave C. Actually, the first driver was not incorrect. The flat fare is to one address. If there is to be another stop, they are entitled to operate the meter for any additional journey.

However, in this case where there was only one stop, it does appear to have been a misunderstanding.

A separate issue, is that of the taxi driver giving you a history and geography lesson. From what I have learned on this forum, unless he was a licensed guide, that is a big NO NO.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Obviously he was not an 'official' guide and his recitation was greatly appreciated by us as novice visitors.

Wish I had such knowledgeable and outgoing drivers in all the global cities I have visited.

While some might interpret this as a solicitation for further 'business', it clearly was not.

He delivered us to the door, unloaded our bags, told us about a terrific hummus restaurant on our block (had lunch there that day and it was delicious), and wished us a good time in Israel.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

<<Obviously he was not an 'official' guide and his recitation was greatly appreciated by us as novice visitors. Wish I had such knowledgeable and outgoing drivers in all the global cities I have visited.>>

What's the harm in that? The same as I - a local, not a guide in any shape or form - would point out to visitors places of interest in Jerusalem. "That's the Knesset building, and over there is the Israel Museum...." I am not setting myself up as a guide, I am merely saying what I know as someone who lives here, and that's all the taxi driver was doing. Samd, do you think Dave C should have told the driver to shut up because he isn't allowed to say that?!

When I arrived in Washington DC (more than 20 years ago) and on the advice of my hotel I took a taxi from the Greyhound bus station to my accommodation, I was thrilled when the driver pointed out the Capitol, the White House, and so on.

Anyway, Dave, I'm glad you had such an enjoyable taxi ride.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

I hope you are touring and enjoying the day. It rained in at noon but it is fine now and it will stay clear.