We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

Hi all,

Just wanted to share our experience with Dollar/Thrifty car rental in Israel/Tel Aviv. We booked a Ford Fiesta for 10 days in July 2013, but we actually got a banged up old Mazda 2 with 75000km on it. The car proved reliable enough but it shook badly at 110kph - I originally suspected wheel balancing issues but it goes away if you are accelerating - so I'm guessing it could be a transmission issue. Worrying, but it keeps you below the speed limits which is a good thing! The car really was not fit for rental in my opinion.

Beyond that, the expensive GPS that we rented from them packed up after two days. First the dodgy cable finally broke and we couldn't charge it without manipulating the wires to make contact, then it plain wouldn't switch on. Luckily we had a paper map so we resorted to using that instead of GPS. So they rent you crap, badly maintained equipment at a very healthy margin.

Finally, their service is rude and aggressive. We collected the car from the most impolite staff I've ever encountered at a car rental agency in my life. To their credit, they did help us find our car when it got towed in tel aviv (we parked in a forbidden zone accidentally), but not before they said "it's your responsibility, you get the car back" and refused to help. After much protesting that every number I called was auto-answered in Hebrew, which I can't understand, they agreed to help and indeed located the car.

Summing up, I wouldn't use Thrifty Israel ever again and advise fellow travellers to exercise caution when considering their services.

Edited: 11:34 am, July 20, 2013
155 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

yes I did , I even received a call from them .. They said they can't do anything , since this was a standard extra day rent I had to pay .. And first half of my rent was paid through Rentacar .

I would agree with this excuse , but only if I just returned car to them without any prior notice

But I came deliberately to their office one day before rent ends for with prolongation question and was confirmed by their manager that I have exactly the same conditions for prolongations as I had when I rented a car ....

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
6 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

had same kind of service

booked c car got a Suzuki splash

on return their shuttle driver (gennady) disappeared. (went to toilet they said)

their shift leader pavel was rude disinterested and a boor( in a country known for being brusque its not easy)

the company contact page doesn't work

will never use them again

advice neither do you

23. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, June 21, 2014

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

For me, right in line with concerns here - i would AVOID EVER RENTING FROM THRIFTY LIKE THE PLAGUE and go with Avis or Hertz. the 10 per day is just not worth the pain and dislocation for these guys. Thrifty corporate in America is useless - after filing a "complaint" on their webpage, 2 weeks later I get a phone call. She was pleasant enough I suppose, but useless, quoting me policy as if it was like the sun rising in the East, and apparently part of the policy is that a manager will not contact me. When I came to pick up a car this June, they would not rent a car, despite a confirmed reservation; the manager would not speak at all with me. Just refused via his front desk. The US Cust Svc rep tells me i am on a "do not rent list," and they are allowed to not rent to someone. That said, their computer system could not flag a person on the do not rent list, and therefore, they could not refuse to give a reservation until you show up in the local office. LAME. I would call that misrepresentation if I were a lawyer. Finallly, be VERY VERY careful on that "car check" thing... apparently in Feb I misappropriated an inflator. God knows what that is, but apparently it warrants a 200 charge. I wonder how many of these go missing each month... personally, I think they are running a scam. So. Buyer beware - your best choice here, with as much emphasis and intensity as I can possible manage, is NEVER RENT FROM THRIFTY. Bad maintenance, bad service, bad management, bad computer systems, all of which points to a miserable experience.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

Rockets are falling; shelters are being used....but some things remain the same. Thrifty being criticised by first time posters on this site. Oh how I love normality!

Can someone explain why those who are being critical have a difficulty with paragraphs please?

Edited: 3:44 pm, July 10, 2014
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,307 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

DC--if you post on the air travel forum you will learn that there are rules for those who post rants. And the very very first rule is

a. Never write in paragraphs.

This is followed by

b. excessive use of caps

c. not fully explaining oneself

d. make accusations with no proof

and

e. call employees rude!

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

To funny,

Please take it easy on me on my posts, English was my least favorite subject.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

Will put a plug in for Eldan. Overall their service was very good. Did get full coverage, may be worth the extra few dollars to eliminate any issues.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,307 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

Shawn--If someone looks at my posts they will find plenty of errors. But, I didn't post rules for posts, I posted the "rules" for rants--and you don't rant! -:)

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!

Shawn, I appreciate that English was your least favourite subject, its not your fault that 1776 happened.

"two nations united in a common goal, divided by a common language".

Reply to: Be wary Dollar/Thrifty israel car rentals!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted