We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shabbat in Tel Aviv

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Shabbat in Tel Aviv

We are a couple, arriving at the ungodly hour of 3.30am Friday morning to Tel Aviv Airport. We will stay in Tel Aviv one night and then go to Haifa for a stay of a week. My question - what will be open over Shabbat? I understand the Port area restaurants will be open. Is this true for Friday night? Any suggestions for what we can do on Saturday? I understand most things like Old Jaffa will be closed. What time would they be open until on Friday?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

Most things in Tel Aviv will not be closed on Saturdays as it is a young and very secular city.

SItes and museums tend to close early on Friday ,but then some reopen on Saturdays for several hours.

Many nonkosher restaurants will be open. Eretz Israel Musuem and Tel Aviv Museum of Art are open, the Palmach museum is not .Public buses and trains do not run.

The old Port in the north and Ha Tachana *"The station") in southern Tel Aviv are both interesting and busy areas for shopping, walking and eating--and open Friday nights and Saturdays.

What do you want to see in Old Jaffa/ Yafo? If the weather is good, you can take the paved walkway from the southern area of Tel Aviv all the way down to Yafo. It's less than 30 minutes easy slow walking.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

Most of the shops will be closed, but restaurants, cafes and cinemas are open. and in Jaffa a lot of shops are open too. and the beaches are full of people... If the weather is good, you should grab a towel and head there. And I highly recommend a walk to old Jaffa - It's beatiful, and there are nice places to eat in the harbor, as well as the flee market (but the market itself is closed). I would try "Mercaz HaHumus Ha'Asli" in Yefet st for lunch - cheap and one of the best Humus you'll find in Israel...

If you are in the center, take a walk down Rotchild Av., where you'll find a lot of young folks drinking coffee, chatting and just passing the time... The new harbor in the north is nice, but very touristic. The white city (Between Rotchild and Alenby St) has a lot of beautiful architecture, if you are interested. There is a very nice small cafe in Ben Zion Av, near Habima theater, on the corner. Another cool place to visit is Neve Zedek - one of the first neighborhoods build outside of Jaffa in the beginning of the 20th century. It's like a a small village inside the city...

B R
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

All restaurants are open. All shops are open until about 7 pm on Friday. Shops at the Tel Aviv port are open. Be sure to see the vendor area as well. Some shops of Jaffa port is open.

B R
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

I neglected to say, port shops are open on Saturday as are all restaurants.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

I'll elaborate on "B R" 's comment:

The time of closure on friday is determined by the sunset (the Jewish Shabbat starts after the sunset). Therefore, in times when the sun sets earlier the shops close earlier (could be even 3-4pm).

One need to distinguish between shops (that sell clothing, food (i.e supermarkets), shoes etc) and restaurants/cafes. Most non-kosher (but non of the kosher) restaurants/cafes are open on Saturdays in Tel Aviv in areas such as the port, promenade etc. While shops are mostly closed.

In non-predominant Jewish areas (such as in Old-Jaffa) the rule does not apply (so you can find shops open too).

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

Wow! Thanks for all of your responses - that's great, we will certainly enjoy ourselves now

B R
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

We went to the TelAviv port on Saturday and everything was open.

8. Re: Shabbat in Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 17, 2014