We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Bergen, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

I am spending 3 nights in Jerusalem and my flight the next day departure is not until 10:30pm . Would you recommend that I go to Tel Aviv for the remaining hours and visit the Dead Sea? Please also keep in mind that I have luggage. If so, how do I get there in a inexpensive way?

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

You can't visit the Dead Sea from Tel Aviv - it's in the opposite direction (the sea at Tel Aviv is the Mediterranean). You could do either of these things on your last day - which are you looking to do?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

If you want to spend the day at the Dead Sea you can check out of the hotel in the morning and leave your luggage in hotel storage for the day. Most hotels will accommodate this request. They almost all have luggage rooms. You could then take an Abraham Hostels tour to the Dead Sea which would allow you to go to Masada, Ein Gedi and the Dead Sea. This is not a guided tour but provides the transportation to all the sites.

abraham-hostel-jerusalem.com/ABOUT/Article/t…

It gets back to Jerusalem around 4pm. You would still have time for dinner in town. You need to be at the airport at 7:30pm so this works for you.

If you want to go to Tel Aviv you have the issue of the luggage. There are luggage lockers now at the bus stations but they are not large. You could have a great day in Tel Aviv visiting Jaffa, riding a bike along the promenade, spending time on the excellent beaches, etc. You would then need to pick up your luggage at the bus station and take the TRAIN to the airport. The bus does not run directly to the airport but the train takes you right there and is faster. The airport is about a half hour from Tel Aviv and about 45 minutes from Jerusalem.

Edited: 12:39 am, May 06, 2013
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

The Dead Sea is the better option because of the luggage issue, but ... you will return to Jerusalem very hot and sweaty, unless the dip in the Dead Sea is at the END of the tour (you have to shower off all the mud and salt).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

I would also recommend the Dead Sea if you have never been there, simply because it's unlike anywhere else in the world.

5. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, July 01, 2013
Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

Can you visit the Dead Sea during one of the other 3 days you will be in Jerusalem?

Then you won't spend your final day running around the country.

Perhaps your hotel will agree to hold your luggage for you? Or perhaps you can get a day tour that will hold your luggage for you?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,102 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

I think there is validity in visiting Tel Aviv for one day. However, do it on an earlier day. Then you spend your last day in Jerusalem. The hotel will hold your luggage until you are ready to leave for the airport.

If you are thinking that the airport is in Tel Aviv--it isn't. It is on the road between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. It is 15 minutes closer to Tel Aviv---which really is not a big deal.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

Agree with rdglad but I am a Tel Avivophile. Spend a day there and take the HOHO bus (can't remember the name of the bus it is not your usual HOHO in Europe)

Easy bus from Central station in Jerusalem to TA and back again.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

I spent an evening in Tel Aviv, had a great time, but it was enough for me. Just so you know, I found lockers to leave my bag in the central bus station, on the 6th floor. I went from there to the beach, swam as the sun was setting, showered and went to a nice bar, and came back to Jerusalem towards midnight!

10. Re: Would you recommend going to Tel Aviv for a few hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 05, 2014