We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fist time visit to Israel

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Rico
5 posts
Save Topic
Fist time visit to Israel

4/28/13

I have been to your website many times and have been very helpful.

Are you traveling alone? Yes. Are you willing to rent a car part of the time? I can drive but I do not like to drive in a country that I do not know the roads I am willing to rent a motorcycle. Therefore I will be using public transportation most of the time and in some cases go with a tour company to specific sites. I realize after reading your website you need a car to go to some places. Do you know where you are staying? I have been looking for hostels at the towns that I think I want to visit.

I went to a travel agency and pick up booklets and I get some ideas on how I want to spend the time in Israel and I went to your website and look all these cities and there attractions and divided the north part and south part of the country as you say it. And I recognize many of the names of the cities. My interest is going to museum and sees all the historical sites that I can see. My questions know is how many days I will spent in the north part if I arrive in Tel Aviv Wednesday and leave Monday morning (remember I will be in Israel around 20 days) to go to Caesarea, Haifa, Safed , Tiberius and Nazareth. And the South part Jerusalem( can I go to the Wailing wall without any trouble and deposit a request and go to any mosque and enter too), Bethlehem, Masada and Jericho (can I go there without any trouble). Another city they say is Eilat but I read about it and do not have any historical sites. If I want to go to Petra how is the best way to go there.

Thanks very much.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fist time visit to Israel

To answer some of your questions:

>>can I go to the Wailing wall without any trouble and deposit a request<<

Yes. The Wall (please don't call it the Wailing Wall, it is the Western Wall) is open to all, 24/7, and anyone can put a note between the stones. On Shabbat, the Jewish Sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday night) and Jewish religious holidays photography is not permitted there, and neither is writing, so if you want to place a note there on Shabbat or a religious holiday you must have the note written in advance.

>>and go to any mosque and enter too<<

You are allowed to go to the Temple Mount but the mosques there are open only to Muslims. This rule is made by the Muslim authorities, not by Israel. And you will be asked questions to prove you are a Muslim, so if you are not, you will NOT be able to enter those mosques.

>>Bethlehem, Masada and Jericho (can I go there without any trouble<<

Masada is easily reached by bus from the Jerusalem central bus station. Bethlehem and Jericho are in the Palestinian Authority. It is easy to reach them by bus (different buses as they are in opposite directions) by Palestinian buses from outside the Damascus Gate of Jerusalem's Old City.

>> Another city they say is Eilat but I read about it and do not have any historical sites<<

Eilat is a modern beach resort, a long way from the rest of Israel, with no real historical sites. However:

>>If I want to go to Petra how is the best way to go there<<

By going to Eilat, crossing the border to Aqaba and taking public transport from Aqaba to Petra.

What time of year are you planning to visit?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fist time visit to Israel

Shuff's last question is very important . Holidays and even weekends can significantly impact your itinerary.

I rather think that it will the motorcycle rentals are all in the Tel Aviv area. This would mean many miles/hours on highways to get to the north and then many miles/hours to return. It also means you would have to rent the bike for a longer period of time than you may really need. On the other hand it will free you from the constrictions of weekend/holiday travel limitations because of very limited public transportation on those days. Also it is possible that rates (and especially insurance rates) are higher than for a car. Then there's the problem of your luggage. With a car you can put it in the trunk, out of sight, while you sightsee as you travel from one destination to another. This is pretty much impossible with a bike. Most sites in Israel do NOT have luggage storage facilities. Driving outside the major cities is not very difficult for an experienced driver. You can download accurate driving directions from the internet, and traffic is not very heavy in the north. Without a car, you may be better off with organized bus tours to areas around the Sea of Galilee.

I suggest you look also at Akko, which has much more to offer than Haifa.

For more information about visiting Petra, go to the Jordan forums. You can arrange transportation and tours in Jordan. The best plan would be to travel by bus from Jerusalem or Tel Aviv, cross the border in Eilat, and stay 2 nights in Jordan, visiting Petra and Wadi Rum, then returning by bus to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. You can save a lot of time by flying to/from Tel Aviv, from the local airport there called Sde Dov. The companies that fly are Arkia and Israir. It is a short taxi ride from anywhere in Tel Aviv to the airport, you can take the first flight in the morning, stay overnight in Petra, come back the next evening and get a late flight back to Tel Aviv. That way you could also leave most of your luggage (if you have a lot) in Tel Aviv, no need to check a bag for the flights. The flight is about 45 minutes and without baggage you don't have to get to the (small) airport very much ahead of flight time. The buses take about 5 hours.

Puerto Rico
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fist time visit to Israel

4/29/13

First visit to Israel

Hi Thanks very much. Shuffaluff sorry for my ignorance but I read that name in some place about the Western Wall. I am going in June. When I said renting a matocycle is when I am in Hifa or other cities if I want to see anything outside the city ,I am answering the question that rdglady NYC/Israel ask me the 4/24/13 in my first post First time travel to Israel.

Thanks very much.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fist time visit to Israel

I understand that you want to have the motorcycle in Haifa. The problem is that there may not be any rental agency in Haifa. A brief internet search led me to the conclusion that the only place in Israel that you can rent the bike is in Tel Aviv. If that is true, you would have to ride it from Tel Aviv to everywhere else you want to go on it and then return it to Tel Aviv before continuing by public transport to Jerusalem.

Do you know of somewhere in Haifa that you can rent a motorcycle?

5. Re: Fist time visit to Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:31 pm, July 01, 2013
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fist time visit to Israel

Julie - see replies to your previous post. Please stop spamming the forum.

7. Re: Fist time visit to Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 03, 2014