We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On train with luggage and kids

Ottawa, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
On train with luggage and kids

Hello! I need an advise. I plan to go from airport to Haifa by train. I am going alone with luggage (2 or 3 suitcases), two 4 y.o. kids and double umbrella stroller. Is it possible to get on train having kids and a luggage? Will I have time? It will be around 4 -5 am.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,537 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On train with luggage and kids

Yes, it's possible to do what you want. The train shouldn't be too crowded at that hour.

The doors will only close once the conductor will see that everyone is on and has cleared the doors - however, it will be a bit of challenge for you to manage and maneuver kids, luggage and stroller.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On train with luggage and kids

If you are the only adult I would rethink your plan--and take a cab. If there are 2 adults there is no reason why it can not be done!

Also, if the schedule you are looking at indicates that train has a handicapped accessible car, I would ride that one--no steps!!

Edited: 11:57 pm, February 28, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On train with luggage and kids

I would also reconsider and take a taxi. The train runs infrequently early in the morning (and not on Saturday or holidays) and once you get to Haifa how will you get to your destination? Better to use one mode of transportation even if more expensive.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On train with luggage and kids

There is also a sherut service (shared taxi) from the airport to Haifa, called Amal, which will take you to your destination for around 100 shekels each. A private taxi costs 500+ shekels, there are fixed prices but you can bargain a bit.

The train is much cheaper (39.5 shekels for adult, 31.5 for each child), but the most annoying thing about it will be timings - they run at intervals of 20-40 minutes so you might have to wait. It should be possible to find someone to help you to get onto and off the train - Israelis are helpful in that way. All train stations have elevators so you won't have to carry your stuff up stairs. But it really depends whether the price saving is worth having to drag your stuff around the station.

avigail

Ottawa, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: On train with luggage and kids

Thank you very much for your answers. I can't take a taxi. It's too expensive for me. I was thinking about Sherut. But, on the other hand, to go by train it's faster and interesting for kids - they dream about train. I planned to take a taxi from train station in Haifa to the our stay place. It will be only 15 minutes by taxi. I am only scared that won't get on the train with kids and luggage. And then I'll need to get off the train in Haifa. It's, probably, an option for me to ask somebody on the platform to help me get on.

Thank you again.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: On train with luggage and kids

I'm sure you won't have any difficulty finding someone on the platform to help you get on the train. Israelis are very helpful in this regard. You probably won't even need to ask!

Make sure the kids get on the train before you do; that way they can't get left behind. Kids first, then luggage, and finally yourself. There will be plenty of people getting on at the airport station and I can't see why you would have any problems there.

When you get to Haifa: reverse. Kids off first! Find a helpful-looking person to keep an eye on them for the few seconds it will take to unload your luggage and then yourself.

If you've drummed into your children never to talk to or go with strangers, you will need to explain to them that this is an exception.

Ottawa, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: On train with luggage and kids

Thank you very much for the advise. I'll follow your advise to get on and off the train.

8. Re: On train with luggage and kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 04, 2014