We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5:30 AM flight out of TLV

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
869 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
5:30 AM flight out of TLV

I am spending 10 days in Israel over Easter. I already have a room booked at the Abraham Hostel for four nights, in Jerusalem, since I will be arriving Good Friday morning. Haven't decided where I want to spend the rest of my time, but I do want to spend a night or two in Old City Jaffa.

My question is, if I stay in Jaffa my last night, what time will I need to be at TLV airport for my 5:30 AM flight and how long does it take to get from Jaffa to TLV airport? My departure flight is on a Saturday, if that makes a difference.

I guess that is two questions. Thank you for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Abraham Hostel Tel-Aviv
Abraham Hostel Tel-Aviv
691 Reviews
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
869 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

Thank you! ;)

troy mi
Level Contributor
971 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

I typically end trips in Tel Aviv with a relaxing beach day staying for the last 2 nights at one of the smaller hotels across from the beach - Adiv and Maxim are my favorites. From there, it is an easy walk down to Jaffa for the better part of one day that includes walking through some very interesting and historical neighborhoods and great last minute shopping both in southern TA and the souk in Jaffa.

Also, make sure you arrange for the taxi before sundown Friday.

Last suggestion, both to save money and make your return trip much easier is to check out of the hotel the day before your flight, check your luggage with them and return late at night to collect luggage and meet taxi. Trying to get just a couple hours of sleep before the 1:45 am taxi pickup does more harm than good

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
869 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

Thanks Troy! I was wondering about checking luggage. I like that idea, rather than pay for a night when you are leaving shortly after midnight anyway. And since I will be spending the beginning of my trip in Jerusalem, I would like to dip my toes into the Mediterranean Sea, before I fly back across the pond. Thanks for the hotel suggestions! I will definitely check them out.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
869 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

I forgot to mention also, I have a 13 hour layover flying into Amsterdam on the way to Israel. I heard about the Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam. I would love to see that during my long layover. Anyone been there?

Maybe I should be posting this question on The Netherlands forum.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
869 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

Got my answer on the Amsterdam forum. :)

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

I have also done that long layover in Amsterdam several times. It is only a 20 minute train ride from Schipol to the central train station in Amsterdam so you can easily see several sites in one day. A train ride to The Hague is only about 30 minutes and it is a short bus ride to Haarlem.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
869 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

Awesome! Only part of this trip I wasn't looking forward to but now it is sounding better all the time! Might also want to do some bike riding in Haarlem. Thank you!

Edited: 5:35 pm, December 30, 2012
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
391 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

First off, you will LOVE Israel. LOVE it! I was there a few years ago, and I just can't say enough good things about it.

Jerusalem is just beautiful.

It's good that you'll be getting out to the Dead Sea and (I think you said) Masada.

If you could get up to Caesarea, there along the Mediterranean, that's a pretty fascinating site too.

As is the Sea of Galilee and Tiberias. So much to see.

It truly is a wonderful country with truly amazing people.

Have fun!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
391 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

And the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam.....if you can do that too on your layover you will be so glad you did.

I can't tell you how moving it was wandering through the dwelling.

Just incredible when you think of the story that took place there.

It was one of the main highlights of my trip to Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges, and Paris last year.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
869 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 5:30 AM flight out of TLV

I am going to see the Anne Frank Museum while on my layover. I will buy my ticket online, prior to my trip.

I did change my itinerary slightly, I will be staying three nights in Jerusalem, one night in Nazareth, then two nights in Tiberias instead of the kibbutz, only because I am traveling solo and generally enjoy being in a city/town instead of being isolated in the country. From Tiberias I will head to Tel Aviv and spend my last two days in Tel Aviv.

I am actually only spending eight nights in Israel. Thought it was more, but it isn't. Sigh.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East