We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Changers or ATM?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Money Changers or ATM?

We are coming to Israel in December through to January.

Can anyone please tell me, would it be better to change money

at the money changers or ATM's. Are there very many money

changers in Israel? I remember when we went to Spain it

was very hard to find money changers around and we had to use the ATM. Thank You

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Changers or ATM?

The ATM is your best bet for convenience, in my view, but obviously check with your home bank's fees for using it abroad.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Changers or ATM?

Money changers are easily found in major cities --Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Netanya, ( from first hand knowledge) Then, I have been in other places ie. Rosh Pina where I did not see money changers. ( note: they are located in small stores where is says money changed--no fee, no commission. ( don't worry, the commission is built into the rate they give you.

ATMs also give a rate, then your bank may or may not charge commission and/or fees. You need to figure out what you bank is charging and compare it to the money changer. You will also find some money changers give different amounts. --AND if you are changing the equivalent of $200 it is not a big deal, but if you are changing the equivalent of say $1000 it adds up. Personally, I have a bank that charges no fees or commissions AND pays commercial rate--so I use ATMs most of the time. NOTE: fees and commissions are charged by YOUR bank, not the Israeli bank--so speak to them and find out what the deal is.--or start a thread Att: fellow Aussies and ask them what they found their experience to be.

3. Re: Money Changers or ATM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 17, 2013