We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

Hi I'm going to Israel and staying in tel aviv for my first time. Can anyone recommend good tour companies or guides for me to take me to all the places in Jerusalem that every first timer should see?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

You should base yourself in Jerusalem for half of your vacation. That way you wouldn't waste your time traveling back and forth every day and you could visit many of the attractions on your own. It is also much easier to go to the Dead Sea from Jerusalem. Are you planning to visit the Galilee?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

mbgg beat me to it. It makes no sense to commute from Tel Aviv. What do you want to see? If you share we can help figure out what should be done with a group ( or private guide if you have necessary funds) and what can be done on your own.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

I wasn't planning to. Do you think I should squeeze that in? Any recommendations for tours?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

You weren't planning to what? Squeeze what in ?? Please tell us exactly what you are planning for the entire trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

There are walking tours of the Old City of Jerusalem leaving from the Jaffa Gate. See these links

newjerusalemtours.com/daily-tours/new-jerusa…

http://zionwt.dpages.co.il/apage/62770.php

Also see this link for a walking tour of the new city

www.tourplanisrael.com/…

There is also the #99 double decker bus that does a 2 hour circuit through the new city. Not to the standard of the hop on hop off bus that you see in most European cities but it works for doing the whole circuit. The timing makes it too awkward for using as hop on and off.

There are many companies offering group tours by bus and foot. Egged, United tours, Rent-a-Guide, etc.

Here is a list from the Jerusalem municipality

http://tour.jerusalem.muni.il/eng/

If you really want a personal experience and to see as much as you can and you have a good budget, you could also hire a private guide. You can expect to pay $350 a day for a private guide plus meals and admissions. Jerusalem is a fantastic visit, there is just so much you can't see it all, but you can wear your shoes out trying. :)

Edited: 8:57 am, October 26, 2012
NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

Having just returned from Israel for our very first visit there, I recommend having a private guide for at least one day in Jerusalem. That way you will get to see the things that are most important to you. We used Oreet Segal who posts here as Oreets and we were very happy with her.

Are you planning to stay in Tel Aviv for your entire trip? I agree with the others that it makes more sense to spend at least part of your time in Jerusalem.

Regarding the #99 bus, it does give you an overview of the city but not much more. I described our experience with it on this forum. I would probably use that as a last resort. It is better than nothing.

Have a wonderful time. I got lots of valuable advice from people on this forum and had a most wonderful time in Israel. I hope you do too.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

Sorry. I meant Galilee I wasn't planning to fit in. I want to stay in tel aviv and Jerusalem basically. I want to see all the sights in those two places.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

Tel Aviv is a modern city with good beaches. There are relatively few tourist sites, mainly museums.

Jerusalem is almost the same distrance from the airport as Tel Aviv. There are many many things to see and do there. You can easily visit the Dead Sea with a tour, with a rental car or by bus (if by bus, then not on Friday or Saturday).

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

If I were in your place, I'd scale back the amount of time I spend in Tel Aviv, stay in Jerusalem for a few days, and squeeze in an excursion to the Galillee. You have 10 days, right? Are those dates (November 16 to 25) full days or do they include flight time?

Are you planning on renting a car at all? If you want to see anything outside of Tel Aviv/Jerusalem, it might not be a bad idea, esp if you go to the Galilee.

There are sample itineraries posted on the right-hand side of the main screen of the Israel Forum. Take a look and see if you can "steal" any ideas.

Aberdeen, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer in Israel November 16 to 25

I am heading to Tel Aviv and would like to know if it is advisable to hire a car so that i can have a bit of freedom when touring to other places