We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

We will be arriving in Tel Aviv (Ben Gurion) in late October. Is it possible to buy a cheap GSM cellphone in Tel Aviv, along with a SIM card that would give me an Israeli phone number? I'm looking for a Pay-As-You-Go phone that I can use during my 3-week vacation. Hopefully it would also be unlocked, so that I could use it elsewhere in the world by simply buying the appropriate SIM card. Thanks!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

Why dont you just take your own phone with and buy time from Orange or others . English yes most people speak English. Not sure what time kiosk is open but it might be an idea seeing that this question is so old to start a new question .

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,126 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

There are companies that will mail you a rented phone thus saving you time at the airport.

Chana

Israel

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

Do you know the names of these companies, Chana?

Thank-you.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

To the original poster- if you have a rogers account, getting your android phone unlocked is a complete hassle and I am not sure it will work overseas. I had my rogers phone unlocked yesterday but you have to put in a third party sim to put in the unlock code. Try getting another company to give you a demo sim. I did eventually get one at the 5th place I tried. Other unlocked phones may or may not work in Israel. An unlocked iphone is the best bet from Canada. However, you can rent a phone at the airport, they will totally set you up on a pay as you go system in less than 30 minutes. You can also buy a cheap phone, under $100 for a pay as you go without data but with wifi. I bought a new one last month. When traveling in Europe, you can then put in a new sim into that phone.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

You can rent from Amigo (www.amigo-us.com), though I am not certain they serve Canada. That's who I use. There are other options with others will add.

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

Annette--the OP has come and gone--1 year ago.

BTW this is why it is never a good idea to revive an old thread. People do not know who they are responding to. ( especially when the posts are EXACTLY 1 year apart)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

Firebirde,

I just checked in ebay and amazon and found unlocked GSM Nokia for as low as 11 USD. I think that to bring with you such a phone is the best.

People in Israel do speak/understand English. Please do not worry about it.

I believe the kiosk mentioned is the post office that sells the Orange SIM

For more info go the following thead tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k541…

Edited: 10:46 pm, October 12, 2013
18. Re: Buying A Cheap Cell Phone in Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 14, 2014