We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Cedar Point, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Hi, Im taking my parents and my aunt to Israel for the first time. We are arriving in Ashod through the cruise line on October 4. We will be in Ashod for two days and in Haifa for one day. They are elderly. Last year I went with my husband and we hired a taxi. It was a bitter-sweet situation. We told him were we wanted to go, but at the end of the day, he took us were we thought we needed to go. He even stopped us at a diamond factory, even though we were not interested. At the end of our trip (2 days) he requested more than we had agreed. My husband paid him and then he started demanding a tip. My husband gave him $100 and he said it wasn't enough. At that point we just walked away.

This time around, I would like to hire a taxi ahead of time so there is no confusion. Im not sure who to hire and that is reasonable? Please help..

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Why hire a taxi and not receive the proper guiding that a licensed professional guide can provide you?

I'd suggest hiring a guide that will also provide you with the transportation you require. With five passengers, you'll find a guided experience cost effective as compared to what the cruiseline offers.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Take Dave's advice. Decide where you want to go with the guide's help this way avoiding places that might not be suitable for elderly like many steps. It will tailored to your needs and desires.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,049 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Do your bookings of guides and hotels ASAP. 4-6 October is Sukkot. There are many tourists and many Israelis are also on vacation.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

A guide costs about $500 per day in addition to the transportation. Another option is to hire a car for the three days, but this is feasible only if you do not have to return the car on Saturday.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Standard taxis will not seat 5 people, so if you are arranging for a taxi or car and driver in advance, make sure that you have someone with a minivan.

Keep in mind that a taxi will only provide you with transportation - a taxi driver is not a guide and cannot help you arrange an itinerary, explain things along the way etc.

Most private, licensed guides do not charge anywhere need $500. Most charge around $350 (give or take) that is for guiding only. Transportation will add to the fee and in most cases double it - all depending on the mileage for the day.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

I second these comments -- hire a guide, or rent a car and drive yourself (which is far cheaper).

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Renting a car is problematic for cruise passengers and also limits the time for touring. Since you will be here during a festival/holiday the cost for a guide/driver or just driver will be higher than usual.

I suggest staying on shore while touring which will cut down traveling time which will be longer than regular days due to the vast numbers on the road vacationing. Using a guide he can arrange an itinerary which will minimize road time as he will know ways to hopefully avoid some of the heavy traffic.

Chana

Israel

Cedar Point, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

Thank you Dave,

We are concerned of the cost and there is only four of us. Since I visited last year, I thought it just might be cheaper to rent a Taxi. Praying that the L-rd sends me a good one.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

I suggest you search on the internet for a car service which is not an individual. This way you will be assured of a price and back up should you not particularly car for the driver you were assigned. The cost may be a bit more, but for your peace of mind it may be worth it.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring a taxi for three days for sightseeing

While most drivers will not rip you off, a taxi driver is just that and he/she will only go where you tell them to go. Most will offer explanations along the way, but you have no idea if the explanations are accurate or not. While I can appreciate that a driving guide is expensive, it is the only way to assure both transportation and information. The guide, btw cost the same for 1 person as it does for 4.