We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv eats

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Tel Aviv eats

What are your favorite things to eat in Tel Aviv? Can be anything. Specific restaurant dishes, small bites, shawarma, sweets, anything. We'll be there 4 days including a full day in Ashdod so Ashdod eats are welcome as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv eats

where to start?....Impossible to be brief!

I love Israeli food - fresh fruit, Israeli salad and Chumus are my favorite. I dont even look at the cheese anymore because it is too incredible, but I have now found delicious low fat yogurt in the grocery stores, something I didnt see in prior visits. My son loves the shwarma and chicken skewers in fresh lafa bread from the busy vendors..

And we had amazing fruit smoothies at Yotveta on Herbert Samuel (corner of Trumpeldoor - spelling?) - (even healthier if you ask them to hold the sugar (blee sucar) and great for a huge Israeli breackfast, served all day - if you are not in a rush .

Our favorite meal was at Budha Burger Yehuda Halevi 21 (corner of Herzel near Alenbi). I think you should call and make a reservation. They have two locations, but we tried this one.

We went two nights ago - It was amazing. Vegan with a huge and incredible selection and variety of dishes, all fresh and delicious and not expensive. Great atmosphere - very young and fun. We went with a large family group - with ages ranging from 3 to over 70, and everyone was thrilled and only one person in the group is vegetarian/vegan! (even my chicken/meat loving son was happy).

We went for 7.15.pm. It wasn’t packed, but it was steady busy with people ordering to take out and eating in. You can eat inside or on their patio - it was a cool evening (ok we've just returned from 5 days in the desert and Eilat so heat is now a relative concept - now its cool everywhere for us!)..

I ordered an incredible Indian Lentil dish on Quinoa that someone at a nearby table was eating - my kids ate plain whole wheat pasta and tofu. Also at our table I saw stirfries and wraps and falafal and great salads - lots to choose from, and big servings. We'll go again for sure....

and..I have to mention the eating in the Carmel Market - the bread and pasteries, and the fresh fruit, wow!

Finally, my kids love the ice cream sandwhiches. They dont eat ice cream or popicles ever, except when in Israel - its usually served as a bribe to keep them hiking up a steep hill and it always works wonders (ie walking up the hill from the water tunnel at the City of David in Jeruslaem!)

ok, I'm getting hungry. Enjoy your visit to Tel Aviv!

Edited: 3:33 pm, July 05, 2012
San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv eats

Humuus, falafel, shakshuka--of course.

BUT... last visit I was introduced to a 76 year old restaurant called Elimelech, well known to locals, that offers Jewish "soul food", i.e. traditional style Eastern European cusine like stuffed cabbages and cholent--a far cry from the Middle Eastern-influenced Israeli cuisine that dominates the food landscape.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv eats

Shakshuka at Dr Shakshuka

The incredible fresh berry Mojito at Forelin. (on Frischman St)

Countless falafel places

Benny HaDayag (Benny the Fisherman) in Old Jaffa. I have not been here but people rave about it.

Manta Ray by the Dan Panorama. Excellent

Enjoy,

Dr. Z

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv eats

My husband loves the chicken shnitzel in Israel. It is served everywhere, crisp on the outside, moist on the inside.

My favourite thing to eat in Israel is the fried cauliflower, served cold as part of the salatim selctions at most places, even better with tachina. Just doesn't tast the same when I make it at home.

And to drink- lemonade with mint, even better when it is blended with crushed ice, nothing like this on a hot summers day.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv eats

anmejoshme - try adding a generous shot of arak to that lemo-mint slush puppy.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,219 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv eats

Dr. Z. - Benny Hadayag is not ih Jaffa but at the port in Tel Aviv. Another branch is in the Herzelia Marina. Forelin was closed 1-2 years ago.

I also recommend Dr. Shakshuka too (kosher), order the tasting menu it contains shakshuka too and be careful not to overeat. Best shnitzel in town is at Cafe Noir on Ehad Ha'am street and Montefiory. For pasta go to Pasta Mia on Lincoln.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,956 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv eats

Forelin closed??? I had no idea. Thanks for the correction....

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,219 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv eats

The building was destroyed and a new one is being built. Half of Tel Aviv is under renovation or rebuilt. You have to see the area near the Carmel Market, two towers on Elhanan street and some smaller buildings. There are several boutique hotels near Rothschild in renovated old houses too.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv eats

For great kosher shawarma go to Dabush on Ibn Gvirol it's on the SE corner of Kikar Yiztchack Rabin. For great food try Adora. For good Italian in the evening try Bellini in the Susan Dallal centre. Otherwise just hit the bars down at ha'tachna. I always think its best not to plan but just see where the mood takes you though. After all it is a holiday not a timetable

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv eats

For great kosher shawarma go to Dabush on Ibn Gvirol it's on the SE corner of Kikar Yiztchack Rabin. For great food try Adora. For good Italian in the evening try Bellini in the Susan Dallal centre. Otherwise just hit the bars down at ha'tachna. I always think its best not to plan but just see where the mood takes you though. After all it is a holiday not a timetable

Edited: 3:23 pm, July 06, 2012