We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving maps

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving maps

We are interested in a good driving map that will help us navigate around Israel for 10 days in our rental car. We are picking up our car when leaving Tel Aviv and droping it off on arrival to Jerusalem. We already have the Super Touring Map by Carta which is good for the major highways. However we would love a good set of maps that will include lots of the cities. We will use this instead of GPS. Anyone know of a place in Tel Aviv to pruchase such a map? Is there the equivalent of the AAA? Do the tourist info centers offer decent maps?

Arik Private Tours In Israel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Tel Aviv
City Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
My Israeli Guide
Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving maps

What cities will you be going through (since you will not be driving in Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem)? The easiest solution is to print out in advance a series of town maps on Google Maps, e.g. Akko -

http://g.co/maps/yab8w

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: driving maps

I have done just as you suggest however am not certain of all the places we may stop when going from city to city. We are driving from Tel Aviv to Tiberias via Cesarea, ? Zichron Yaakov, ? Ein Hod, Haifa, ? Daliyet el Karmil,

Nazareth. we will also spend a day exploring Golan region. Then we will drive to Eilat and then back up to Dead Sea and then finally to Jerusalem.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving maps

I doubt if you can find a book of maps - in English - that has detailed maps of every little town in Israel. Doesn't the "Super Touring Map" have maps of Jerusalem, Tel-Aviv and Haifa ? Most of the rental companies provide a standard map of the country that includes small maps of the centers of these cities. If you are going to a town just to see the major tourist attraction (e.g. Caesarea, Zikhron) then there will be plenty of signs to direct you. Other like Daliyat Al-Carmel and Ein Hod are only small villages where you can't get lost even if you tried :-)

When in Tel-Aviv at the start of your vacation go into any bookstore (Steimatsky is the big chain) and check whether they have anything suitable.

Edited: 2:13 am, April 22, 2012
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,296 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving maps

AS someone who uses mainly English language maps, I also use google maps for details within cities. I have found nothing else available. Some cities do have maps in English--but these are only available at tourist information cities in these or neighboring cities. For example I have Netanya and Herziliyah maps--obtained in Netanya. I have a Ma'alot map ( in Hebrew) obtained from my hotel near Ma'alot

Edited: 7:47 am, April 22, 2012
High Point, North...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving maps

I have just purchased iGo Lite Israel iPhone map. The language can be changed to English, and then both the interface and the map is in English. I think it’s the only navigation app available for Israel (or one of very few). This app does not require Internet access - it uses the true GPS chip. We will be bringing two iPhones and one iPad with us. I am planning to use this app on the iPad while driving. You can set both the pedestrian and automobile mode. The price of the “Lite” version of this app is $30. You don’t need to buy the “full” version of this app, which adds 3d view and live traffic.

If you don’t read Hebrew, changing the language from default Hebrew to English is a little tricky. You need to go to Options inside this app and find the icon that looks like a flag. Then, choose the first line item under that “flag” menu. Once you change the language, it’s easy to use it. It took me about an hour to figure out how to change the language. My Hebrew is almost nonexistent

Edited: 8:15 pm, April 22, 2012
NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving maps

I am very interested in hearing how this works for you. We are going in October and I would like to do something like this, if you find it to be helpful.

Tel Aviv District...
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving maps

If you happen to have an iPhone or an Android phone with decent data roaming charges, I warmly suggest you to use the Waze navigator while in Israel.

It's a totally free GPS navigator with constantly updating info about traffic, police traps, best routes etc. You can download it from the Appstore / Market, and you won't need a driving map.

High Point, North...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: driving maps

I saw Waze in action in Israel today. My taxi driver used it, and said it was pretty good. However, it relies on the Internet connection, which I doubt is reliable outside of major cities. So, if I were you, I would spend $30 and purchase iGo israel Lite. It's a real GPS-based navigation app that does not rely on the Internet connection and is available on many platforms. I purchased it on the Apple's app store in the US for $30. You don't have to buy the full version for $60 unless you want live traffic - just go wit the Lite version. If you later decide you need live traffic, you can add it as an in-app add-on purchase for $20.

Edited: 10:19 pm, April 29, 2012
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,296 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving maps

sirozha--don't underestimate the connect ability of items in Israel. There are towers all over the place. I have had connections in the most out of the way places.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving maps

I agree with sirozha on this point. For any sort of electronic based map (ie GPS or Internet) the GPS version is hands down the better choice.

For old fashioned paper maps, CARTA has always been my choice.

Dr. Z