We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesach

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pesach

I hadn't even noticed when booking my upcoming trip to Israel that we will be there over the first part of Pesach. My four year old daughter and I will mostly be visiting family in Tel Aviv during our stay, but I was wondering if there was anything special to do over Passover - or is it more of an inconvenience when travelling as far as finding place to eat than anything?

Aviva

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesach

Restaurants will mostly be open (especially in Tel Aviv where there are more non-kosher ones), but the kosher ones (and many non-kosher as well), will NOT serve BREAD or anything made with leavening... they will, however, provide Matza.

However, you should note that the evening of April 12 is the beginning of Pesach and that night plus the 13th of April is treated like Shabbat - so no public transportation is available and most "sites", shops and all kosher restaurants should be closed.

And, well, I wouldn't characterize Passover as "inconvenient" and suggest visitors find a way to participate rather than find a way around it - it's a wonderful time to be in Israel!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel