We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do for a day

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Georgia
7 posts
Save Topic
what to do for a day

We will have one day in Tel Aviv while we wait for our flight and unfortunately cannot scuba. Are there any suggestions for restuarants or places we should not miss? Thanks

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do for a day

HaAretz Museum

Jaffo

The Azrieli Tower (and its Mall)

and whatever else Douglas and SuzPom will suggest you!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do for a day

Old Jaffa (Yafo) for sure.

Bet Ha-t'fusot (the Museum of the Diaspora) on the campus of Tel Aviv University.

Rabin Square

Wandering down Dizengoff and Ha-Carmel Market.

That's more than one day, but there's a menu to pick from.

Also check out www.telavivguide.net, an English-language guide to the city.

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do for a day

Lots of things to do in tel Aviv - give me some more details and I'll advise you what's best for you.

How old are you? What time of year? What day will you be there? What are your interests?

If you are talking scuba I'm assuming you are fit?

Pamela Levene

Augusta, Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do for a day

Thanks for all of your replies.

we will be there Monday April 10.

My husband and I are in good shape and in our 30's but I imagine we will be tired. We will arrive from Jerusalem after breakfast and our flight leaves at 23:45.

We really enjoy historical places and prefer kosher food.

Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do for a day

The best thing for you is to wander around the area of the 1) Carmel Shuk or 2) Neveh Tzedek.

1) The shuk itself is full of sights and sounds and smells that are fun to experience! While they do get lots of visitors and you’ll hear every language under the sun being spoken here, it is none the less an authentic local market.

As you walk down the shuk from the top end (Allenby) if you take any of the alleys off to the right you will be in an area called Keren Hataymanim - literally the Vineyard of the Yemenites. It’s very old (by Tel Aviv standards) Remember the Jews started to clear the sand dunes in 1909 to build the first wholly Jewish city in modern times. It has its very run-down parts but is in the process of being renovated so it’s interesting to see the contrast as the oldest building revert to their former glory.

There are lots of places to eat here. From the simplest meat eateries (I hestitate to call them restaurants) - no table cloths, no frills, but they are tasty, cheap and you will get to eat alongside the locals. To the fancy. Pundak Shaul is a landmark – delicious Yemenite food, at a price! It’s away from the shuk end – nearer the sea. Definitely a restaurant! Another restaurant is Meganda in the heart of the quarter. Food is a little less exotic than Pundak Shaul, also excellent.

Don’t assume the restaurants in Israel in general or Tel Aviv in particular are kosher (though many around the shuk are) Ask! Of course they may point to the Certificate on the wall and it could either be ten years out of date or simply be their VAT certificate!! Best way is to look at the clientele – if there is a local with a kippa eating there, then you are safe.

Now for 2) If you walk right down the Carmel Shuk, continue walking towards the big hotels, follow the road till the hotels are on your right and then turn into the area ahead of you on your left, you will be in Neveh Tzedek. This is a delgihful area for wandering round. Gentrification going on all around – sometimes beautiful, sometimes less so. Craft shops, galleries, coffee shops. Follow the signs for the Suzanne Delal Center and you will come to the heart of the neighbourhood. This area is part of Tel Aviv but is 20 years older!!! How did that happen? The Jews of Jaffa wanted to leave the hostile and crowded environs of Jaffa so bought sand-dunes some 20 minutes walk away. So originally these new areas were considered part of Jaffa. Only after Tel Aviv was well established and had grown did it reach to and swallow up Neveh Tzedek!

Look out for the ice-cream shop off the main square – wonderful choice and flavours. Before that don’t miss the mosaic on the wall. It tells the history of the area – if you are lucky you will find some enthusiastic guide (like myself!) explaining it. Otherwise you’ll just have to guess what it is all about! Last time I was there, there was a grandfather explaining to his great-grandson – and it turned out he had lived there as a child, his parents being among the founders.

Have a wonderful holiday

Pamela Levene

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do for a day

Regarding kosher food - have a look at eluna.com. Lots of kosher restaurants all over the country with discount coupons.

Enjoy!