We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS for Israel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
GPS for Israel

Hi

Does anyone know if I can upload ISRAEL map into my tomtom?

If not, what does it cost to buy an Israeli gps for a car, outright?

And are they easy to find? I will be able to buy one in Tel Aviv.

I think $18 a day to hire a gps is pretty expensive.

Buying one may cost the same - and I can then use it for future visits.

thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,724 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: GPS for Israel

If you have an a computer ( or smart phone) with active access than the free WAZE app is the way to go. It is available in English as well as Hebrew. It can be used in lieu of a GPS system. ( but probably has the same spelling problems)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: GPS for Israel

Be aware that in WAZE treet names on the map are not translated, only directions

Edited: 1:05 am, June 23, 2013
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: GPS for Israel

I'd caution against Waze for the first-time traveller. It was originally intended for locals who want to shave a few minutes off their commute rather than people planning long trips. It is good at helping identify large traffic jams. However, it is best used by someone with sufficient knowledge of the area to override it if it suggests an absurd route. For example, the time I used it, it took me through back streets barely wider than my rental car in a strictly Orthodox neighbourhood, just as kids were leaving school and crossing roads in unexpected places, which was not a desirable driving experience (and also took far longer than a "normal" route - probably Waze just didn't have data for the jams I got stuck in). On the next route it told me I would get stuck in a jam, when in fact the jam was in the other direction. And then, its legendary decision this winter to direct drivers in Tel Aviv onto the Ayalon highway as there were no traffic jams reported there (the road was in fact submerged under flood water...)

If using a phone app I'd recommend Google Maps, which gives sensible routes and can be combined with the phone's GPS so you can identify your location on the map.

24. Re: GPS for Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 25, 2014