We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palmach and Independence Hall Tours

Dallas,TXD
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Palmach and Independence Hall Tours

We will be in Israel in March...three of us...We'll be working with a private guide for a few days (1 in Jerusalem and a few up North). We'll have a car and we're going to do Tel Aviv by ourselves.

Anyone know how to get on a tour (or with a group) for the Palmach and Independence Hall? I've been told that they won't take three people unless we're connected with some group, but I don't know how to do that.

Any advice?

Also, anyone have contact information for an evening of Bedouin hospitality (including a camel ride)? That's something my 11 year old really wants to do.

Thanks

More questions to follow...ANY advice or recommendations are ALWAYS appreciated!

Arik Private Tours In Israel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Tel Aviv
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
My Israeli Guide
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palmach and Independence Hall Tours

Palmach: you need to book because there is a fixed number for each tour, not because you yourselves have to bring a group! (Open till quite late each day, I was there at 8 at night!)The Museum is in Ramat Aviv, a suburb of Tel Aviv.

Get your tour guide to book for you because they get booked months in advance.

If you write in 'Palmach' in the TripAdvisor search you can read comments I posted about the museum a while ago.

Independence Hall: also worth booking. you can actually go in without a booking but then you wouldn't get to do the wonderful guided tour part. Only open mornings.the museum is in the centre of Tel Aviv.

Check out www.ilMuseums.com for the details of lots more museums. Warning: there are so many great museums you may need to extend your trip!

Have a great time!

Pamela Levene

Hermosa Beach, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palmach and Independence Hall Tours

Hi,

I just came back from Israel, and we had 4 different tour guides. We found that it was very good to "mix it up" because everyone has a different style and it was good to get different points of view and different approaches to leading tours. Two guides were EXCELLENT, one was annoying, and one was terrible. You might want to contact Kobi, who seems to be familiar with all the cultures in Israel may be able to take you there as a group of 3 people only. Tell him what you want to do and I'm sure he can either do it or send you to someone else.

Kobi was "excellent" Kobi kobiki@012.net.il

All three of us thought he was the superior guide. He was 41, had traveled the world, majored in Geology, and had a welcoming calm demeanor.

The other was Doron a_doron@inter.net.il

He has a completely different approach with many military stories as he was in the special forces which was fun for us. He was like a favorite uncle who makes you laugh. Both of these guys changed the itinerary when we asked them to with no problems at all and were fun to be around.

So, now on to the two bad ones. One had too many "IN YOUR FACE" opinions and had to be the "star" and was frankly exhausting. "Look at me when I'm talking to you." He spent a lot of our time on his own drama filled explanations that were trying at best. Every question was met with a, "NO! HOW CAN YOU ASK THAT QUESTION!" attitude in the response at high volume and high intensity.

The other one that was bad was the opposite, too slow and boring and he changed the itinerary leaving out more than half of the sights, I think, because it was easier for him. He drove us to Masada from Jerusalem at 60 kph, (38 mph) while he told us stories in a low monotone voice as the other cars were flying past us on the freeway. One of the people on our trip had had him for an 8 day group tour 2 years ago and specifically asked the tour company NOT to give us him as they all complained, but we were given him anyway. We asked them to change him after that painful 9 hour day to Masada and they did, but we will never use that tour company again.

I hope this is helpful in planning your trip!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palmach and Independence Hall Tours

A couple of places to contact about an evening of Bedouin hospitality...

contact Adam Sela- www.adamsela.com or Kfar Hanokdim kfarhanokdim.co.il/nokdim/english/about_e.htm

For a Jewish slant- try Eretz Bereshit- http://www.genesisland.co.il/EngHome.htm

Get answers to your questions about Tel Aviv