We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 airports in Tel Aviv

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 airports in Tel Aviv

Hi, I'm understanding that there are two airports in Tel Aviv. Ben Gurion (TLV) and Yafo Sde Dov (SDV)

Can you only fly from the Uk into TLV?

I will be arriving into TLV, but connecting flight down to Eilat may be from SDV. What is the transfer time between the airports and the best method?

Thank you

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

it depends on the teime your planning to get from tlv to sdv.

if its in the rush hours it could take an hour,

int the good times 30 min.

If u plan to fly to Eilat there are many flights to eilat threw tlv too, u dont need to drive to sdv for that.

ENJOY Israel.

Tzook Bar Noy

http://www.Israel2all.com

Israel social community

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

You may want to look into Ovda International Airport which is about 40 miles north of Eilat. It has a larger runway and is able to handle larger planes such as hose which may come from a longer distance, such as London or Manchester.

If you do go there the airport has a shuttle which goes to the major hotels in Eilat.

Dr. Z

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,825 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

Dr. Z. no flights to Ovda right now. We still have to see what will happen in the winter. Anyway, most if not all flights to Ovsa/Eilat are package deals of flight+hotel.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

Hi

Thanks for correcting. Have they discontinued for good or is it a temporary thing? I know Aeroflot used to fly there for day trips to Eilat.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,825 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

It is not closed for good. I suppose (and read something indicating it) that tourism is down and the package deal comapnies stoped flying to Eilat. Hopefully they'll resume in the winter.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

Sde Dov is actually two small airports back to back. One side is the Military airport, the other the commercial airport.

I actually flew in a military helicopter to the Erez Crossing (Gaza) with Shimon Peres and other big-wigs for a meeting with Yasser Arafat in the heady days when we thought we were going to have peace with our neighbours!

Although the commercial aipprt is small it can take medium sized planes.

Again when I was in the peace talks, we regularly flew from Sde Dov to Eilat. The size of plane really makes a difference. when we went in the tiny planes (about 12 seats I think) it took nearly an hour. When we went on the larger planes it would take about 30 minutes.

By the way, the airport is not in Jaffa (Yafo).

It is on the north side of the Yarkon River, North Tel Aviv, not far from the Reading power station.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,056 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

The best way to go from TLV to SDV is by train.

Take the train from the airport to "Tel-Aviv University" station. Go down the stairs, through the turnstiles, and walk out the tunnel to the right. There is a taxi stand there and it is a very short ride to Sde Dov.

The train schedules are on this site:

http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

Thanks all for your help, I think I will take the tain.

Thanks again

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

If you could get a flight from Ben Gurion, it would really be the best.

10. Re: 2 airports in Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 19, 2010