We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The old train station of Jaffa

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
The old train station of Jaffa

The old train station of Jaffa (south of Neve Tzedek) is to become the newest culture and hangout area of Tel Aviv.

An extensive restoration work is almost finished and the placeis going to open in Aabout a year. Meanwhile, it will be used for special events.

I've visited today the first of these events: Fresh Paint - a contemporary art fair (18-21 march).

They are doing a very careful restoration of the beautiful old railway station, and some other buildings . Here are some pictures that I took:

…google.com/margalit.benari/…

as you can see, there is still work to be done.

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The old train station of Jaffa

Very interesting.

Where is it exactly, MB? In Jaffa itself?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The old train station of Jaffa

It is between Neve Tzedek and the road that leads from Jaffa to Tel Aviv. I marked the location on the map next to the photo album.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
692 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The old train station of Jaffa

For years it was in the army base that used to be there and then later the grounds of the IDF Weapons Museum where I worked for a while. It always struck me as such a shame that those buildings were left to rot the way that they were and I am so happy to hear that something has at last been done with them.

I spent many days, and nights, roaming those buildings trying to imagine what the place must have looked and felt like in their day.

Adam

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The old train station of Jaffa

Adam, there's a lot of work done there now.

It is across the street from the Tel Aviv promenade near the Manta Ray restaurant. I don't know where the entrance is, but the parking lot is on the sea side so it must near that and not from Eilat road the way it was.

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The old train station of Jaffa

Thanks, now I can place it. Did they move the buildings to this location? I'm asking since it's called the old train station of Jaffa... but it seems to me it's not located in Jaffa...

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The old train station of Jaffa

Oh no - they did not move any building. ( Moving old buildings is not a common practice here. The templar buildings in Sharona were a very special opperation).

The station was built on 1892, 17 years before Tel Aviv was founded. Its location was on the northern border of jaffa, near Neve Tzedek that was then part of Jaffa.

7. Re: The old train station of Jaffa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tel Aviv