We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 Day in Tel Aviv

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
1/2 Day in Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv is a city that I infrequently visit. However, I had heard great things about the Nachalat Binyamin Arts and Crafts Fair. After deciding I would melt if I do it in the summer, I went yesterday. I took a train from Netanya to the Central Tel Aviv station and there took a # 18 bus. It left me 1/2 block away. The crafts were fantastic, it was not overcrowded--yet full of tourists and the main language seemed to be English!! I was able to buy a number of small gifts for holiday presents to co-workers in NY. ( they know they get their gifts late!!) All in all I spent over $135 and was more than satisfied. Some of the artists/vendors I was able to bargin with and others had very firm prices.

After shopping I wandered down a street in the Carmel Market. It had been years since I had been there--and it was a memory lane kinda walk--since I had gone their with my now deceased parents. ( who had moved to Israel)

Then, looking at a map I realized Sheinkin street was right there---so I walked up Sheinkin--looking at the stores and the cafes. Very upscale. I didn't go into any--since the clothes they sell aren't part of my lifestyle.

Then I walked some-more and ended up meeting Shoshi for a bite and conversation--a satisfying end to a good day.

As I said in the beginning. Tel Aviv is NOT a city I usually go to. However, I found it vibrant and interesting to walk through. There are lots of people in the streets. It is big city and the place in Israel that most reminds me of NYC. Whether that is good or bad is up to you. I also found it warmer ( and dryer) than Netanya. I think that is because the buildings are closer together and it is more built up. ( something like Manhattan, compared to the outer boroughs) I do not know how much walking I will do there this summer. It depends on whether it is just normal hot or extremelly hot. i do know that my next winter trip will include a few days there. There are many more streets I need to wander down.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,818 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1/2 Day in Tel Aviv

Gotcha--Anon. I leave Monday night. I am done with my touring. ( still visiting friends in Netanya) I'll have to wait for the summer ---if it isn't super hot or next winter!!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1/2 Day in Tel Aviv

Hope it was short but sweet.

Have a safe journey back.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 1/2 Day in Tel Aviv

rdglady - sorry to have missed you this time round. We went north with all my in-laws and kids, and then I had to catch up on work. Completely forgot that you are usually here at this time of year too.

Have a good flight back (I guess it's this evening), and hope to see you next summer.

Regards

Debi

14. Re: 1/2 Day in Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 11, 2009