We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

Ohio
10 posts
Save Topic
Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

I would appreciate some advice about traveling from Ben Gurion Airport to Tel Aviv at 1AM. Is taking the train the best alternative at 13 NIS each (we are two people) or a taxi? I am concerned about safety on the train or station in Tel Aviv at that hour. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of a taxi at that time including luggage?? Would there be a place in the airport to arrange for a fixed taxi price at that hour as well? Thanks for your help.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

As far as I know, the train does not run that late (I think the last train leaves at ~11:30pm).

Schedules can be found here:

http://www.israrail.org.il/english/index.html

You can easily get a fixed price cab outside the arrival hall.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

No train that late.

As you leave the arrival hall turn left and walk to the taxi station. There is a board with a list of the official prices. The night rate to Tel aviv is 126 IS + 5 IS airport tax+ 3.4 IS for each piece of luggage.

Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

Hi IndigoGrrl,

I used the following site and it shows the trains departing 24 hours/day. It says it is the Suburban line and would go to Tel Aviv Center - Savidor. Does this seem to be the same train line???

www.rail.co.il

Israel
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

They are the same train line. Your link is simply the new site. I have never heard of the train running that late but you are correct according to their site.

In my opinion you will be very safe in Tel Aviv. I am an American and I have walked all over Tel Aviv in the early morning hours (2-3-4) and I have never felt unsafe in the slightest. I wouldn't expect the train to be any different. It's not like the US where you have to be a lot more concerned about random street crime.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,896 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

Take a taxi as MB said. The train does not work at that hour and you'll need a taxi from the train stat=ion (if the train was working) to get to your hotel anyway. The taxi will bring you to the hotel quickly. Very good after a long flight.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

The new website--which is a beta site tells you to check the timetable at the old site--which I just did AND guess what, new to all of us--there seem to be trains running once an hour all night long!!!

That being said--take a cab, as someone said you still need to take a cab from the train station to your hotel. ( make sure the hotel knows what time you are arriving)

RE: safety, I am a single middle age women who uses public transportation at midnight while in Israel. I stand on the street and make transfers. ( I am famous for catching the "last" bus to somewhere)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

Sorry for my previous inaccurate answer. The confusion about the train has to do with the destination station: the night train stops only at one TA station (Savidor). When searching the online timetable for any other TA station - the late night trains simply do not appear.

Before you take the train you have to make sure you canget from the train station to your hotel. There are no busses at this time and I don't believe there is a 24 hour taxi at the railway station. Be prepared with numbers of 24hour taxi staions and coins for calling them from a public phone.

I think that a taxi from the airport is the best option !

Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I see on that website that there is no licensed taxi stand at the Tel Aviv train station, so I will do as you have suggested and take the taxi. I also appreciate your addressing my concerns about traveling at night. I'm so looking forward to my first visit to Israel.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

According to the website, there is a taxi station at the Tel Aviv Central Station (Savidor), but as I said before I don't think it is active at night.

Your decision to go by taxi is a good one, that will bring you safely and quickly to your hotel (and your night sleep).

Have a great stay in Israel

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv at 1 AM

There is a taxi station at Savidor train station - I took one of their taxis today. It's aptly called Harakevet (the train) - but they are unduly expensive (I am being very polite here) and I don't know whether they work 24/7, even if I would expect them to be there when there are trains.

Get answers to your questions about Tel Aviv