We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

Edinburgh, Scotland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

Hi,

My girlfriend and I have 10 days in November to spend between flying into Telaviv at 0230hrs on a Sat morning and getting to Dahab (Red Sea)10 days later. We have not been to this area before.

We would like to cover the major sites in Israel plus see the Dead Sea and Petra/Wadi Rum in Jordan.

It is hard to know what to do, how long to spend in each place and how long it will take to get between places. We are planning to hire a car.

We are keen to do a bit of hiking/national parks/bird watching as well as see the major historical sites.

Any suggested itineraries?

Thanks for your time in advance!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

Out of the 10 days allow 3 for Petra-Wadi Rum. For the 7 days left here are my suggestions:

From the airport take a taxi to Tel Aviv, stay there Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning get your rented car and head north to Ceasaria, Haifa, spend the night in Haifa. Next day dribe further north to Akko fro 2-3 hours, then to Nazereth and spend the night near the Sea of Gallili. You must visit the Agamon, and nature reserve dedicated to birds. This is the migrationg season and the reserve if FULL. See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k148…

Other sites are around the Sea of Gallili. Spend 1-2 nights there and in the morning head to Jerusalem via route 90 visiting Beit Shean on the way. You will get to jerusalem in the afternoon. After your visit in Jerusalem (your car will be parked somewhere for that time, no need of a car in Jerusalem) drive to the Dead-Sea Massada and proceed to Eitat. In Eilat return the car and head to Petra-Wadi Rum. You cannot take an Israeli car in Jordan. After your trip to Jordan head to Dahab, either by crossing into Eilat and then Taba, or take a ferry from Aquaba, Jordan to Dahab. I suggest you read and transfers to Dahab from Aquaba on the Jordan forum.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

Shoshi's suggestions are very good ones.

If it would be of help to you in planning your trip, I would be happy to send you a free, 42-page, noncommercial travel guide to Israel. I'm not in the travel business, but like to help people plan their trips based on what I have learned in my nine visits. If interested, e-mail me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send it via reply e-mail as a .pdf file attachment.

That goes for anyone reading this, by the way.

Have a great trip!

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

I usually agree with Shoshi, but this time I suggest some changes. With the itinerary she planned out, you won't have time for Jerusalem or the Dead Sea.

I would do the following:

Day 1 (Saturday) - Tel Aviv

Day 2 - drive north to Ceasaria and Akko.

Days 3 and 4 - Agamon Hula, some of the sites around the Sea of Galilee, including Beit Shean, and a trail in one of the national parks in the Galilee/Golan.

Days 5 and 6 - Jerusalem (leave the Galilee by 9:00, and you should arrive in Jerusalem by 11:00)

Day 7 - Jerusalem to Eilat, via Dead Sea and Masada. If you leave Jerusalem early in the morning (about 4:00 I think), you can get to Masada early enough to hike up and see the sunrise from the top. Then go for a float in the Dead Sea, and have some fun covering youselves with therapeutic mud. Be careful not to get salt in your eyes, and tell your girlfriend not to shave her legs for at least 3 days beforehand!!

Days 8 to 9 - Petra and Wadi Rum

Day 10 - get to Dahab

Have a great time :-)

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
88 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

Just another opinion thrown into the mix - I would spend 3-4 days in Tel Aviv and only 1 day in Jerusalem. Have a great time. Israel is a fantastic destination and you'll love the fresh organic food, historical sites and best of all, the wonderfully engaging people.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

I have to differ with Donna on that one -- I always recommend that half of any visit to Israel be spent in Jerusalem, an endlessly fascinating city with so much to see and so much history that you'll never exhaust it. (And I thoroughly enjoy Tel Aviv as well.)

Enjoy!

Douglas Duckett

Edinburgh, Scotland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

Thank you everybody.

We are very excited.

All your help is much appreciated.

7. Re: What to do with 10 days in Israel/Jordan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 11, 2009