We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Tel Aviv

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
44 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Tel Aviv

We will be in Tel Aviv for 4 days (Monday, Tues, Wed, Thurs) in November; we'd like to plan ahead for day trips from the city to sites in northern Israel. We are interested in archaeological sites, including Acco, Caesarea, Haifa , Bet Shean and perhaps Banias if possible.

Any suggestions on good bus tour lines, itineraries, etc.? We do not mind traveling on Saturday. I've heard hiring a guide with a car may be the best way to go, though expensive. Any suggested guides who specialize in arch. sites?

Thanks in advance.

Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

For starters - have you booked a hotel in Tel Aviv? If not why dont you consider staying over night.

Whilst Caesarea is about 1 hour away, Banias is a good 3 hour drive. Its possible but might be more enjoyable with an overnight.

Why not rent a car for yourself if a guide is too expensive. I dont know how many are in your group but it would work out to be far more convenient esp. as public transport is limited on saturday.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

I have used Bein Harim & Rent A Guide Israel, they do standard day tours and also custom made private tours, have a look at their websites

www.beinharim.co.il

www.rentaguideisrael.co

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

Oops sorry this is the link for Rent A Guide

http://www.rentaguideisrael.com/

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

You really shouls stay overnight somewhere in the north. The trip from Tel Aviv to the north takes between 2 to 3 hours. The days are short in November, so you really won't have much time to see a lot.

My suggestion is to go to Caesarea, Haifa and Acco on the first day. Stay overnight either in Acco (hotel Akkotel - wwww.akkotel.com), or in one of the many B&Bs in the vicinity. The next day drive to Tiberias and to the north. You could go to Metula, Banias and if you want to see something really special go to Agamom Ha'Chula which is a park on road 90 going north form Tiberias. November is a great time to catch this unbelievable site packed with thousand of cranes and pelican and other birds in the middle of their migration from Europe to Africa. Absolutely fantastic.

You don't have to time to include Bet She'an. As I said, short days and a lot to see.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

As Erirya sais - this is far too much for one day, you should stay overnight in the north.

In my opinion - if you like archeology Beit shean is a must see.I would leave Banias for another trip - it is too far, Look in www.parks.org.il for description of the national parks.

Some distances:

Tel Aviv Acco (via Caesarea and Haifa): about 130 km

Tel-aviv Beit Shean : 120 km

A possible itinerary:

I you start early in the morning you can visit Caesarea Acco and Haifa on the first day, then stay overnight in Haifa or Acco.

On the secon day, see whatever you couldn't do on the first day, then drive to Beit Shean. If you have tiem you can also visit Zippory or Kohav Hayarden.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

I agree completely with the last two posters. Much as I adore Tel Aviv's energy in the evenings, it makes much more sense to spend at least one night up north. Assuming archeology is really your main interest, here's my thoughts:

Monday in Tel Aviv. Tuesday hire a guide (I suggest Jeff Abel for this) to go south to Beit Guvrin, and some of the actively excavated old Philistine and Roman ruins. Back to Tel Aviv for a great dinner and a bit of night life.

Wednesday rent a car and drive to Caesarea, thence to Tzippori or Megiddo, and end up staying at a B and B in the north -- we can help you locate options, but one reasonable, pleasant central-northern spot would be Frenkel's in Khorazim. There you are an hour or less from the magnificent Gamla, Nimrod's Fortress, Tel Khazor, Tel Dan, Banias, and not much further from Bet She'an. If your timing puts you in migration season, you really should stop at the Hula Reserve or the lake, too.

That's two very full days there -- so maybe you'll have to decide to either cut down the list and return to Tel Aviv for Weds night, or else spend two nights in the north.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
44 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Though we are booked in a hotel in Tel Aviv for four days, I think we will rent a car and plan one night in the Galil (Tverya) in order to see as much as we can. I took a look at the map and thought we would try the following itinerary - do you think it is "do-able"?

1. On Saturday, would it be possible to book a 1-day tour of Caesaria, Haifa and Akko? I assume there are operators that will schedule tours on Shabbat. Any suggestions? I was also thinking if we wanted to go back to Caesaria on our own later, it would be easy to get to.

2 On Sunday, we plan to rent a car and drive directly to Banyas, see Tel Hazor, Nimrod's Castle, drive south through the Golan and stop at Capernaum. Our hotel is booked in Tverya.

3. On Monday, from Tiberias, we would see Kochav HaYarden, Beit Shean (the most time spent there) Beit Alfa, and Megiddo. From there, back to Tel Aviv.

"Todah Rabah od paam" to all for your help and suggestions - any recommendations for resonable, reputable rental car agencies is also appreciated!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

For tours see www.beinharim.co.il/regular_trips.php… and http://www.unitedtours.co.il/

These are 2 companies, but at your hotel you will find more information and the hotel desk can book the tours for you.

9. Re: Day trips from Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tel Aviv