We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

We're leaving Sunday (!) for Paris, arriving in Israel a week later.

We'll be staying 4 nights in Jerusalem and 4 nights in Zichron Yaakov. (We've settled on this itinerary due to family obligations).

We want to go to Tel Aviv for a day/evening while we're staying in Jerusalem. My sister-in-law suggested we go to Tayelet, and perhaps Yaffo. But I'm curious what folks here would suggest for less than a day in Tel Aviv. The Diaspora museum? A good area for shopping/cafes?

Also, we'll have a car, but the consensus on Trip Advisor seems to be that we should avoid driving within the city. When I was in Israel three years ago I got lost in every city I drove in (including tiny Zichron!), and I usually don't get lost in strange towns or countries, so I may be inclined to agree.

Is there a good place to park it that would a good base of operations?

Thanks.

Jim

troy mi
Level Contributor
907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

i'll let the TA experts contribute more - I never had an issue driving into and within TA- much easier than Jerusalem or Haifa - there are plenty of lots in the tourist/hotels area near the beach to park and leave if you choose. Suggest park southern Hayarkron area - from there, there's lot of interesting neighborhoods (Neve Tzedak) and markets(Nahalat Binyamin - Tuesdays and Fridays) and Carmel to explore - all easily walkable. From there, walk down to Jaffa for a great Souk - then cab it back to car if needed.

Museums are ok IMO, but not worth time in a 1 day visit

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,805 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

Driving to Tel Aviv is easy, and there are many parking lots where you can leave the car for the whole day. Near Dan Panorama hotel and the Carmel Market are many parking lots. Some, those are near the market charge for the day and not by the hour and are cheap (13 shekels). This is a central location. You can walk to the market, Neve Zedek, Nahalt Binyamin, and the promenade. The promenade goes all along the beach, south to Jaffa (walkable) and north up to the Tel Aviv port. The port is a major recreation area with many restaurants, cafes and some shops. To go there take a cab or bus no. 10.

Another option is to park at the port itself, its free during the day, and if you leave after 1900 you pay 15 shekels. This is now, maybe during July/August it will change. There are parking lots nearby (Reading) that are free or very cheap.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,805 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

Sorry, I meant that driving in Tel Aviv is easy to get to a parking lot and later go on foot/bus/cab.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Oh, one follow-up? When is rush hour?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,349 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

Personally, I do not like to drive and park in the city. I find at the end of the day I then have to make sure i get back to my vehicle. If I have visited multiple places it means figuring out how to get back. My idea--park by the lot near the Central Train Station. ($$) It is right between Tel Aviv and Ramat Gan. There is a Dan Bus Station 1/2 block away. You can then bus into the heart of the city and easily find a bus back to your vehicle at the end of the day. It is also right off the highway so you don't have to deal with city traffic.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

Rush hour into Tel Aviv is until 9:30 and from Tel Aviv is from 15 to 17.

7. Re: day trip to Tel Aviv (from Jerusalem)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 24, 2009