We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

80 Ha-Yarkon street

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
305 reviews
Save Topic
80 Ha-Yarkon street

Orit was supposed to get back to me on Thursday. However, I know she is swamped. She did mention to me that she was concerned about Hotel de la Mer. She said she didn’t like the lobby or the location. I do not care about the lobby. However, location might be important. It is located at 80 Ha-Yarkon street anyone been there? Comments would be appreciated.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

Coberg, drop me a note when you get a chance at Labatt@fuse.net.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

I totally disagree with Orit. First, the address of the hotel is 62 Hayarkon St (not 80). Second, it is one block away from the Hotel Metropolitan which (if I remeber correctly) Orit recommends. The Hotel de la Mer is right by the "Opera" building (no connection to the opera! It used to be the site of the old opera and where the first Knesset of Israel assembled). Today it is a modern building with restaurants and shops. The hotel is a block away from the beach. The new and praised Herbert Samuel restaurant is 5 min walk from the hotel. Manta Ray restaurant, a known fish and sea food place, is about 10 min walk on the beach. There are many small eating places around. David Continental Hotel is about 4 blocks south of the de la Mer. True, it is not a posh neighborhood. But it is an interesting area!

And about the hotel. My relatives and guests love it! They like the athmosphere, the rooms and especially the price!

And... a last question - why do you need Orit to book the hotel? Just phone them. You might even get a better rate. It is worth trying!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,325 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

I do not really know Tel Aviv well. But, if erirya, one of the Israel experts likes the hotel, that would be good enough for me. I think it is important to remember that every agent has their own opinion on things. Sometimes the opinion is colored by the amount of commission a given hotel offers. So, while I do not know Orit, or her motivations, I think it is important to remember that she is one person--and shouldn't be given any more weight than being one person.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

Thanks, Eyria. Douglas, I sent you an email! i am grateful fro everyone's help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

I, too, have heard good things about the Hotel de la Mer (I believe Anon likes it), though there are some mixed reviews on this site. I agree that if it is near the Metropolitan, that is not a bad location. As a personal preference, I prefer to be farther north, but it's just that -- a personal preference.

Douglas Duckett

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

I have just returned from a 2 week trip to Israel and I spent 3 nights at the Hotel de la Mer. It is close to the southern part of Hayarkon street, quite near to Allenby Street. I have no problem with the location or the hotel. My daughter and I walked for miles while we were in Tel Aviv and the location of the hotel was not a problem at all. The people at the front desk were helpful and the rooms were clean. The rooms are fine-small by American standards but you are in Israel not the US. The breakfast buffet was not huge but it was the best tasting one that we had while in Israel. They will also make you eggs to order. Other buffets are much larger but do you really need 15 different varieties of white cheeses?

I can highly recommend the hotel. If you want to be in a big touristy hotel, dont stay here. If you want a small hotel that offers fine rooms and a decent location, stay at the Hotel de la Mer.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

Great review -- thanks for adding it! You may also want to add a review in the hotel review section of the site.

Douglas Duckett

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

Thanks Array

The reason why I wanted Orit to Orit to book the hotel was merely to try to save a little money. We are taking our adult children. So, I am paying 4 times the price. Airfare alone is astronomical, but it is a dream of mine and there is no price tag on fulfilling a dream

Douglas, any special reason for preferring to be further north? Lorax819, Thanks for the great review. I am going to book 2 rooms tomorrow. By the way, thanks everyone. People keep asking me how can we take the risk of traveling independently without a big long tour/ I replied because I have friends on trip advisor. Thanks from the bottom of my heart!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

Not a big reason, Coberg, and both are fine. I like being closer to the sea (the Melody has a sea view), the Hilton beach, and the Old Port. But the area of the Hotel de la Mer is in a fine location, very central, and not a problem area. Given the size of your group, the Melody will likely be too expensive (it's gone up in price since reopening after the renovation). I think either the Hotel de la Mer, the Metropolitan, the Cinema, or the Center will be good, mid-range choices. You could ask Orit for prices on the Melody to see.

You can obviously book directly as well. No one "has" to use Orit, that is rather obvious. But I find using Orit cheaper and easier, and from other comments on this forum, many others have as well. That makes it a no-brainer for me. I also make my own choices -- on my upcoming trip, I have booked two hotels (six nights) through Orit and two (eight nights) on my own because she doesn't work with where I wanted to stay. So pick where you want.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you! But you're not going wrong here.

Douglas Duckett

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 80 Ha-Yarkon street

When we stayed at the south end of the Tel Aviv beach, at the David Intercontinental, we enjoyed that neighborhood very much. The Carmel Market, Manta Ray restaurant, easy access to Jaffa, close to Neve Tzedek and Nachalat Benjamin areas. That being said, there are not a lot of convenience stores down there for basic necessities. When we stayed further north, at Lusky Suites Hotel, there were more options for shopping.

My feeling about travel is to be open to trying different areas for accommodations, and discovering what each area has to offer.