We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

NJ
3 posts
Save Topic
Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

We are first-time travelers to Israel and unfortunately planned our trip during Yom Kippur. Is anything open? Should we postpone until after the holiday?

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

Absolutely, if at all possible, postpone! Almost everything will be closed on Yom Kippur (even in Tel Aviv).

NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

Bummer. Thanks for the quick response, Indigo Grrl.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

YES! everything will be closed. If you can postpone do so. But Tel Aviv is great on Yom Kipur. On one hand many fast and go to pray, but many others will spend the day on the beach or cycling the roads and highways. It is not for tourism but certainly very interesting and different, as long as you get plenty of water and food ahead of time.

NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

Thanks, Shoshi. When is the best time of year to visit Tel Aviv?

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

Wow, I would LOVE to be in Israel on Yom Kippur! The idea of a country essentially turning itself off for one day sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime experience (for us non-Israelis, of course).

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

AZZenny & Labbat - I was thinking of you when I wrote. I am sure you would enjoy on Yom Kipur in Tel Aviv. On one hand religion, on the other herds of people on the beach, on bicycles on Ayalon Highway. People walking on the roads, no cars, and SILENCE.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

Visit Tel Aviv anytime, always full of life and things to see and do. Now during the summer in is crowded with tourists and Israleis as it is the end of the summer vacation.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

I would indeed love to be there for the holidays one day, knowing my Israeli friends would take me in and treat me like family. :-)

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

They indeed would and you would have lots of very nice and different experiences. And that goes for Azzenny too, of course.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv - September 20-23, 2007

Anon, welcome back.