We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging and Houseguest Customs

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Playa Gigante...
8 posts
Save Topic
Lodging and Houseguest Customs

I am going to Israel in a couple weeks and have found myself in a tricky situation.

I am going there to see an Israeli friend from America, and she is insistent that I stay at her cousin's house. The trip from Baghdad to Tel Aviv will take me longer than it would from Los Angeles, and I do not feel comfortable showing up at a stranger's house sweaty, dirty, cranky, and demanding lodging. I know that the neighborhood they live in is called Neve Monosson, but beyond that, it's Greek (or Hebrew) to me. I want to book a room somewhere nearby so, at the very least, I do not look like I just popped into country expecting to be waited on. Are there any hotels in the area?

Also, I assume this will turn into a quick argument in which I will be told that I was foolish to book a room, and I will end up staying with them for the week. Is there anything I should know or do besides a thank you gift?

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

LOL! And welcome to Israel! What is the saying, two Israelis=four opinions? Even when they basically agree! So that part in your post about 'I assume this will turn into a quick argument...' ? ;-)

Of course if you are going there to see an Israeli friend, you'll want to coordinate to some degree with her, but I'd also suggest staying in Tel Aviv near the beach if you can swing it.

Playa Gigante...
8 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

The Israel friend, who we'll call Shiri (because that's her name; I'm creative) is already going to be staying with her brother and said cousin when I get there. So it will be me, Shiri, and Shiri's brother staying at Shiri's cousin's house. Still, I'd feel out of place and like I'm imposing. Money is definitely not the issue, the issue is Shiri saying, "Shut up, you're staying at my cousin's."

I've decided to book a hotel for the week if for no other reason than the comfort of knowing it's there. Nice beach hotels are nice, and all, but I've found that they are more designed for couples and small families where people like to be left alone. Does anyone know of a hotel good for a single guy where I can have a nice clean room, and has a bar or someplace nearby for a bit of socializing?

Israel
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

But there are clubs and bars and restaurants all along the "tayelet" (boardwalk), so finding a place to socialize in the evenings shouldn't be difficult at all.

I don't know of any Tel-Aviv hotel that caters specifically to singles, and there certainly will be lots of families on vacation in 2 weeks' time (schools' out), so you are likely to encounter families with kids everywhere, at least during the daytime.

Maybe a smaller hotel like the De La Mer? (I've neevr stayed there myself, though).

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,680 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

OK, my turn to add to this argument.

1. It is very common in Israel to stay with friends, let alone family. I don't see a problem there. You will be most welcomed and pampered by Shiri and her cousins.

2. That said I can see your point wanting a place for yourself, relax and have some fun (and privacy).

3. No hotels near Neve Monsoon which is a suberb and part of what we call "Metropolitan Tel Aviv". You will be bored to death there.

4. Most of Tel Aviv hotels are on the beach, or 2-5 mnitues off the beach. Just choose acording to availabilty and price.

5. You can use cabs, it is easy although sometimes annoying with the taxi drivers trying to be "smart". Try to get a cab from the hotel.

6. Have fun, Tel Aviv is a wonderful place, and of course I am not biased ha ha ha

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,238 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

OK, I jump in too.

Whatever the custom or Shiri's expectation, stay where you want. Staying with people's families, however nice and coddling, can get old very fast because you feel out of place and in the way. If you want to do it for a few days, do so, but you have no obligation, and Shiri needs to respect "no, thanks" for an answer.

I like my own space. I'm past the point in my life where I want to share my hotel room or living space with anyone besides my partner. So I'd get a hotel room, if that's what you want, and I'd do it in the beach area of Tel Aviv.

Your moderate-range choices include:

Metropolitan (large, 2 blocks from beach).

Cinema (on Dizengoff Square)

Hotel de la Mer (I too have heard good things but have not stayed there)

You may or may not be able to get less-than-one-week stays, though, since this is the busy season. You can get other ideas from that www.telavivguide.net site I referred you to.

Contact Orit at Regent Tours, a Tel Aviv-based hotel wholesaler and see what prices she can get you. She's toll-free from the US at (866) 383-6130, but you probably will have to do e-mail at regent@actcom.co.il. Tell her that Douglas and your buddies on Trip Advisor sent you; she has quite a following here and takes good care of "our people."

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

I am also for the De La Mer. It's classified boutique so it's not by definition for families. No pool though.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,680 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

Who needs a pool with the sea so close by?

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

Fine by me - just pointing it out.

19. Re: Lodging and Houseguest Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 05, 2009