We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how safe is it...

The UK
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
how safe is it...

I wondered how safe it is currently, to walk alone from the bus terminal and all the way through the Old City (Jewish 1/4)?

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,994 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how safe is it...

I would (and have) done both of these alone regularly during the daytime. No problem at all. I would be wary of walking through the Old City at night and have only done so on holidays when there are lots of people and security guards around. Near the bus station is not so bad, it's just a long way from the centre - take a bus to get there.

In general, I think Jerusalem feels safer than, say, London or New York to walk around alone.

Avigail

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how safe is it...

Are you asking about walking from the MAIN/Central Jerusalem Bus Station? If so, yes, it's fine - perfectly safe to walk through downtown Jerusalem basically anytime, day or night. The Central Bus Station is on Jaffa Road, so just continue on that street right through and all the way to Jaffa Gate.

If you then want to walk from Jaffa Gate to the Jewish Quarter, that's also easy and safe. During the day, you can go straight in and down David Street through the "suk", turning right where the street seems to end and, going straight on, entering at the northern end of the Cardo OR turning right and then left and continuing down, still in the "suk" until you turn right onto "HaKotel" road, to find yourself entering the Western Wall Plaza.

At night you can also walk through the Old City to the Jewish Quarter, but instead of going down through the dark "suk", once inside Jaffa Gate, follow the road to the right into the Armenian Quarter (very safe - you'll actually walk right past the main Old City police station), walk along Armenian Patriarchate Road and turn left (before the little "tunnel") onto St. James Road. Follow that basically straight ahead and down (okay, it twists and turns a bit) to enter the "Rova" (Jewish Quarter) at the Cardo.

Have a great time!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

3. Re: how safe is it...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 23, 2009