We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birkat Cohanim during Sukkot

Sydney
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Birkat Cohanim during Sukkot

I have read on this forum that Birkat Cohanim occurs at the Kotel during Pesach and Sukkot.

I cant seem to find any information on when during Sukkot this takes place? Is it every day of Sukkot? It sounds like an interesting/unique event and I would be interested in attending as I will be in Jerusalem during part of Sukkot.

Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birkat Cohanim during Sukkot

Hi. It happens on the first day of "chol hamoed" or intermediate days(actually the third day)of Sukkot unless it's a shabbat. While there is a special mass ceremony on Sukkot and Passover you can get blessed by a Cohen every day at the wall.

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birkat Cohanim during Sukkot

Just to clarify it takes place on the 3rd day of Sukkot/Passover which is the first day of Chol Hamoed for those Jews living outside of Israel. It is the 2nd day of Chol Hamoed for Israelis. Again it is the 3rd day of of the holiday for Jews living in both Israel and outside of Israel so the third day of Sukkot is your answer unless it's a Saturday like this year in which case it will be on Sunday.

So in brief your answer is Sunday, October 12, 2014.

You can see videos of the Birkat Cohanim on YouTube. The crowds are huge so only go if you don't mind big crowds.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birkat Cohanim during Sukkot

To further explain the day given is for the huge Birkat Cohanim -however there is Birkat Cohanim every day of Sukkot and every Shabbat throughout the year in Israel (as well as a few other days too)

NJ
Level Contributor
556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birkat Cohanim during Sukkot

There is actually Birkat Cohanim every day of the year in Israel during the Shachrit (morning prayer) service but it's not really something "to see" besides from the big Birkat Cohanim on the 3rd day of Passover and Sukkot at the Kotel. On a regular day if you blink you might miss it :-)

For those interested outside of the Land of Israel Birkat Cohanim is only recited on the main Jewish Holidays (only the days Chag/Yom Tov not on Chol Hamoed / Intermediate days).

Edited: 12:06 am, June 10, 2014
5. Re: Birkat Cohanim during Sukkot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 12, 2015