We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

Day 22

After the morning session of the conference ... I headed to the Old City to see some of the areas I had missed in the Tower of David.

My bubble had been a bit burst when I heard on the Hop on Hop off bus, that the Tower of David isn't an actual tower built during the time of King David.

It is so beautiful and impressive ... that I thought it might have been of his design.

I explored an exhibit they have there presently on healing ... and read some of the placards, and one had a write-up on King Solomon that interested me a lot. It shared that he was known to be adept at healing, because of his vast knowledge of plants and animals. Also ... it places him as having corresponded with Jesus ... which I never even considered - as I didn't think they would be of the same era at all.

A little later ... I went to the entrance of King David's tomb - expecting to see only his tomb - and found a whole new world! So I had a lot of fun exploring that area!! I didn't see it all ... and will want to return to it ... but I did see his tomb, and I also spent some time in the psalms room.

Later, as I walked a bit, a small tour group leader was sharing on orthodox dress ... and did a wonderful job of explaining! I really appreciated that as I had been wondering about the tassels and lengthy sideburns - what the significance was - and he explained all these things to his group. Several bystanders, including myself, listened in with interest.

It has been sandwich week! I have tried a few ... with my favourite being smoked salmon and cream cheese, with capers. I had that today at Cafe Forte, which is in the Clal building ... and it was very good! I especially liked the bread - which is what I call "loaded bread" - brown and lots of seeds in it. Other sandwiches I have tried were a feta cheese and yellow peppers on brown bread at Yad Vashem ... and it was nice, too ... as well as a lamb burger which is a bit like a sub, at Big Baguette, at the Clal building. All the sandwiches were about 32NIS ($11).

I have been here three weeks now ... and am finding that I don't even notice that a restaurant is kosher ... meaning that I have always found a really enjoyable meal at either a dairy or a meat kosher restaurant, and I haven't yet felt like I am missing something because a restaurant keeps kosher.

I have also now purchased an anonymous Rav Kav card, and am enjoying the ease of using this, too. It is good for 8 years! The LightRail is so good ... I thoroughly enjoy using it. Gets me most places I have been going very quickly!

And - I found a really good map at the tourist booth at Jaffa Gate .... they happened to have one for the Nazareth area .... and it is nice and simple and includes Tiberias and Galilee Lake - and area. So I was very grateful to have that while here, to get a bit familiar with the area!

So ... when I go to Tiberias, and if I have a question, do I stay with this forum or ask questions elsewhere?

Thanks!

Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Yoav Rotem Private Tours Israel
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

Thanks for the update firebride.

And stop it, your getting me hungry with talk of all that good food.

BTW, there was more then one instance where an OT figure talked with someone. And it has been speculated it was Jesus.

Was it? Who knows. Does it matter? Not in my opinion. Doesn't change a thing either way.

Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

Hi Shawn! You must be getting excited as your trip draws near.

What I was meaning was that what I read at the museum said they corresponded, by a letter.

So that could be known ... age-wise ... and I hadn't thought that Pilate, etc. were of the time of King Solomon. I thought King Solomon was far earlier.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

Solomon was way earlier, hundreds of years. Rember, he was the son of David.

And yes. Getting very excited about upcoming trip.

Edited: 8:04 pm, May 21, 2014
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

<<<Also ... it places him as having corresponded with Jesus ... which I never even considered - as I didn't think they would be of the same era at all.>>>

Something doesn't sound right. That is impossible. Read Matthew chapter 1.

I am sorry, but I know what Shawn is referring to and that doesn't fit either (elaborating would not be an appropriate discussion for a travel board so I will leave it at that).

Good to hear you are continuing to enjoy your time there. :)

When you go to Tiberias it's a good idea to ask questions on the Tiberias TA board. You will probably have exactly the same people answer you, butt your question may be something that someone else wants to know in the future and they can find it better by just searching on the Tiberias board.

Seattle
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

I'm glad that you are enjoying your time in Jerusalem.

The so-called Tower of David is actually part of a palace complex built by Herod about one thousand years after King David. Pontius Pilate stayed in this palace when in Jerusalem, and it was at this palace's pavement that was the probable location for where Jesus Christ was condemned. Unfortunately, Byzantine Christians later confused Herod's Tower for David's.

They also confused the Western Hill and called it Mount Zion. I am sorry to burst your bubble but the Bible says that David was buried in the city of David, which is the original part of Jerusalem. That is not the area where this so called Tomb of David is located. That tomb has only been called that since the 12th century AD.

6. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, May 22, 2014
Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

<<<Also ... it places him as having corresponded with Jesus ... which I never even considered - as I didn't think they would be of the same era at all.>>>

Ok... I have been thinking about this.... I am wondering if you have misunderstood the word correspond. It has two meanings. The first means "to write letters" but the second meaning is "to have a similarity to".

If you take the second meaning then it makes more sense. Solomon and Christ don't have to be in the same era... There just has to be a similarity in whatever things were being spoken of.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

There are two towers at the Tower of David - which btw has nothing at all to do with King David other than being in the City of David. The mid portion of the tower at the front corner is part of one of three towers that Herod built. The tower most people think of is actually a minaret that was built much, much later.

As already noted, King David was buring in the tombs of the royal family which the Bible says were in the City of David, so that the site called the Tomb of David is a monument, memorial, etc. but not his tomb.

Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

I really appreciate it when I find out facts ... things that have been proven and are true, like what I found out about them finding the preserved land-titles of three names that are from the Bible, and from what they were already thinking might be the time period of Jeremiah. This is very conclusive evidence, then, and this is what I like.

I took a picture of that placard about King Solomon and Jesus, Heather, and just read it again ... and it is definitely saying that there was actual correspondence - just like I am writing to you here, between Jesus and King Solomon. It is presented like a testimony of King Solomon - that he needed healing and couldn't effect this through what he knew, heard about Jesus, and so sent a message to Jesus and asked Him to come.

And even with my limited "time-line" knowledge ... I knew something seemed wrong with that.

This is in a display grouping called "Medicine".

The reason I am wanting to know actual and true findings, is so that when I relay information to others - it is true and accurate!

In my whole time in Israel, I would rather see three places where the archeological documentation is sound, and confirms an area of the Bible ... than many, where it isn't. Also ... current testimonies, with documentation ... these appeal to me.

My testimony of healing has a lot of clout with people ... because I have a medical file three inches thick prior to being healed. And we can presently drive to the hospital and ask to see it, as well as talk to the doctors and teachers and family members who know me. And I can tell people personally what was then, and what is now ... and it is to the glory of God, because He did what people couldn't.

That's what I am looking for ... archeological evidences that have several confirmations, like the land-titles found still with their clay seals still intact from the time of Jeremiah ... and current well-documented testimonies, like one that was shared at the conference of a young girl whose face was miraculously healed - no surgery, a reconstructive miracle. One moment part of her face was missing ... and the next moment it wasn't.

When I go to Tiberius, there is apparently a boat that is well-documented to be from the time of Jesus. I will go see that.

Now to figure out how to find the Tiberius forum ...

Thanks!

Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 22 .... Trip Report by Firebride

Thanks Oreets ... that makes it really clear!