We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in Jerusalem

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
walking in Jerusalem

What is the distance between the central bus station and the Western Wailing Wall?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking in Jerusalem

Too far to do it on foot. Get the tram to Damascus gate then go from there.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking in Jerusalem

Too far to do it on foot. Get the tram to Damascus gate then go from there.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking in Jerusalem

First, The tram that you take from the stop outside Jerusalem Central Bus Station, is direction "Heil HaAvir".

In addition to dcweymouth suggestion to walk from Damascus gate, you can also get off the tram at the City Hall stop (one stop earlier), then cross the junction towards the old city walls and take bus 8 or 38 from the bus stop, they both get you inside the old city (to the Jewish Quarter), pretty close to the Western Wall. (it's 1 minute walk between the tram stop and the bus stop, see map: http://goo.gl/maps/g8oMi )

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking in Jerusalem

You could walk it in about 50-60 minutes but why if you can take the tram. You can take the tram to the City Hall stop and then take another bus as suggested by Amos, or from the City Hall stop it is an exciting walk through the Mamilla Mall to the Jaffa Gate and from there walk either through the old city following the walls on your right or through the Old City markets, just walk in the Jaffa Gate and walk down David Street. When entering the Jaffa Gate, immediately on your left are 2 tourist info centres. The second one is run by the Israeli Tourism ministry and they will give you free maps and directions from there.

This is all assuming you are not arriving on Shabbat or a Jewish holiday when there is no public transit.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking in Jerusalem

I have walked ( NOT In hot summer months) many many times from the Jerusalem CBS to the Old City. ( actually did it Annette, the day we all met) It is an interesting walk--down Rechov Yaffa, you pass many things and it can be quite enjoyable. It is, of course faster to take the light rail! ( and in hot months, much much recommended.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking in Jerusalem

It is a 30 minutes leisurly walk our a brisk 20 minutes walk along an historic street with lots of shops this the idea of it taking an hour. I walk this route frequently and never has it taken me more than 30 minutes if I don't stop to shop. The City Hall stop of the Light Rail is the closest to Jaffa Gate. The ride takes 10-15 minutes depending on traffic.

Chana

Israel

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking in Jerusalem

Chana, if you do that walk in 20 minutes I would never be able to keep up with you! It is 4 kilometers in distance if you go down Jaffa street and through the Jaffa Gate.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking in Jerusalem

I agree with anmejoshme. I can imagine it is just about possible, walking very briskly indeed, to get from the Central Bus Station to Jaffa Gate in 20 minutes. I do not think it is physically possible to get from the bus station to the Western Wall in that time. In any case, those outside the Superman/woman class should reckon on a 45-50 minute walk. And as noted if it's summer you will arrive exhausted and boiling hot.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,574 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: walking in Jerusalem

I remember once walking very fast - not running - from the corner of Jaffa Road and King George Avenue, along Jaffa Road to the central bus station, into the station, up to the third floor and to the platform for my bus, at the far end of the station, and it took 22 minutes. I am a fast walker and I know the route very well, obviously.

Allowing for the fact that you will be exiting the station rather than going upstairs to a platform, deduct say three minutes. The distance from the bus station to the corner of King George is about half the distance from the bus station to the Jaffa Gate, and you then have to add the part from the Jaffa Gate to the Western Wall. Since you won't be able to do this last part at top speed, even if you wanted to, because of the crowds, I think 50 minutes total is not an exaggeration, and that's for someone who walks very fast, who knows the route well and doesn't need to stop to check the direction, or look around at something interesting that catches their eye.

Twenty minutes is impossible unless you have jet-propelled shoes!

NJ
Level Contributor
552 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking in Jerusalem

I think rdglady maybe meant 30 minutes from the Central Bus Station to the Jaffa Gate. From there it's an additional 10 -15 minute walk depending how fast you walk.