We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

New York City
Level Contributor
306 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

Can someone suggest some restaurants where we can have dinner that are not far from the King David? We are open to (and would prefer) small casual local places with excellent food and possibly one "special" highly rated restaurant. Two cafes have been suggested by friends but I don't know how far they are from the Old City. (T'mol Shilshom and Kadosh) Thanks.

New York City
Level Contributor
306 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

Thanks. We're not vegetarians so that sounds interesting - I assume you wouldn't recommend it if you hadn't heard it's good! Do you know anything about "Rama's Kitchen"? It sounded unusual but probably not convenient.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

Having eaten at 1868 ; the king David's own restaurant and eucalyptus , I would advise that the latter two are best.

However one of the problems with seeking advice of this nature is that the opinions, though helpful, are subjective.

Restaurants can have a bad day with service and as such earn criticism disproportionate to the actuality. By way of example I had an awful time at a restaurant in TLV that I reviewed but it still gets rave reviews which no doubt reflect the norm.

There is a map function on the TA restaurant guide section, use that.

Look at the reviews but ignore reviews from one time posters as they are often exaggerated.

The fact remains there are many great places to eat.

The only problem I have in jersusalem is wanting to eat more than I should in the heat.

Bitte Avon

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

dcweymouth gives good advice here. It's all subjective.

Trust me on this point -- I consume the flesh of dead animals. :-) I still enjoyed Te'enim a lot, and so has my partner (another confirmed meat eater).

Douglas Duckett

New York City
Level Contributor
306 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

dcweymouth and Labatt are absolutely on the money with advice. Believe me, I take into account not only what is said, but who says it, where they live, whether they've ever been anywhere outside their hometown, etc. etc. And I also use many food blogs available on an international basis. TA, although I use it and value it, can only be one source of opinion with food, lodging and just about anything else. But all that being said,

it is a great resource and I thank everyone for contributing!

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

Rama's Kitchen is a small place outside of Jerusalem with views of the Judean Hills. It's open eclctic hours and you need to mke reservations. It's not kosher. A co-worker if mine who is a "foodie" tells me it is quite good.

http://ramak.co.il/en/

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,100 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

I know nothing about Rama's Kitchen, but I just looked it up... it's in a village called Nataf, and although you didn't ask, unless you have a car you can't get there. There are about three buses a day at weird times, including one that leaves Jerusalem at 15:00 and returns from Nataf (obviously the same bus) at 16:00, so that's no use to you whatsoever. It would have to be something super wonderful above and beyond to make the cost of a taxi worthwhile.

Oh, and of course it is nowhere near the King David Hotel!!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

Douglass - i am glad to hear this about Te'enim. I was very disappointed and when i told others about our experiences there, i got many nods of "yeah, that's the problem with Te'enim". I'm always happy to hear that is not the norm.

TO the OP - I just realized you are in walking distance to the "tachana" (the "first station") - there are a few nice restaurants there, both kosher and not (adom -non kosher, and First Kitchen -Kosher are supposed to be very good).http://www.firststation.co.il/en/

sarasota,FL
Level Contributor
175 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

There is a restaurant (very upscale) in Jerusalem. I cannot remember the name, though it is near the market. The last 2 times we were in Jerusalem, we could not get reservations. They have a tasting menu which is supposed to be extraordinary and $$$$$. Does anyone remember the name or even if it is still around and still so good?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

That would be the Machneyuda Restaurant in Beit Yaakov street. We went there yesterday, had the tasting menu and it was excellent!

20. Re: Restaurants not far from the King David Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 25, 2015