We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Violence on The Temple Mount

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Violence on The Temple Mount

Hearing of violence on The Temple Mount. I thought you had to go threw security check when entering The Temple Mount. Reading an article in the http://debka.com/newsupdatepopup/7895/, says protesters have rocks and firebombs there. How do they get these things threw security?

Is a site we would really like to visit when we come to Jerusalem, will be bummed if something like this is going on.

Jerusalem, City of Peace. Guess some people just don't get it.

Kudos to the Israelis for keeping the city open to all faiths when they took control of it. To bad some people take advantage of it for the wrong reasons. Will keep Israel and her people in my prayers. Hope this violence doesn't disturb the plans of to many already there.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

Unfortunately, only visitors the the temple mount are going through security check. Muslims enter there freely through the Muslim-only gates to the temple mount. Rocks can be found onsite - you don't have to bring them in..

This morning, April 16th, the police has closed down the Temple Mount for visitors, of course, till they will solve the issue. This incident does not affect any other site in Jerusalem.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

Thanks Amos, didn't realize there was a Muslim only gate. Is there no security check there? Firebombs to me means gasoline.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

Yes, there are security checks at all the gates, including those used by Muslim worshippers.

The Temple Mount / Al-Harim al-Sharif compound is a large and complicated area. It's not like securing a single room or building.

If I'm not mistaken, you're still planning your first trip to Israel (correct me if I'm wrong). After you visit the country and the Temple Mount you may feel more qualified to make sweeping statements about the very sensitive and complicated reality here. Or not.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

There are 9 gates to the Temple Mount - 8 are for Muslim only, and the 9th is for visitors only - located near the Western Wall. There are police officers at any Muslim-only gate, but they do not search every person that comes in. In the visitors gate all visitors are thoroughly checked, this search also aims to remove non-Muslim religious artifacts which are forbidden today on the Temple Mount. There is an ongoing debate in Israel and in the Knesset to change this situation, allowing Jews to pray in the Temple Mount and allow entry from other gates.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

Yes, first trip PRSV. I must have the wrong visual of it. I'm picturing The temple Mount as a walled area with a few gates and no other way in. Your right, will be a learning experience for sure.

Really don't mean to offended anyone, just trying to figure out what's going on beforehand. Maybe we'll leave certain things out of our plans if there not safe. We're rethinking our visit to Hebron as well.

Okay thanks Amos, I see how they can sneak things in.

Edited: 6:58 am, April 16, 2014
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

What do you want to see in Hebron? You can leave it out.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

Is a point of interest shoshi. We have a night in Bethlehem, was going to visit from there with a private guide. But things seem to be a little crazy there at the moment, maybe they'll change by June. Will have to see as our arrival gets nearer.

Edited: 7:21 am, April 16, 2014
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

Shawn, June is a million years away from now. Hopefully it will all calm down way before your trip :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,939 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

Continue with your plans to visit the Temple Mount. If there are any security issues you will not be allowed to go up. I would also suggest visiting Hebron, which is a fascinating city with so much history.

Chana

Israel

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Violence on The Temple Mount

As a third time visitor, I still feel this is a very safe country to visit. Yes, there are incidents from time to time - but I have never heard of anyone here in Israel who has to put their children to bed in a bath to protect them from gunfire - yet that is what an American policeman told me was the situation in parts of New York when he worked there. From what I hear on the news New York must be a dreadfully unsafe place to be. I kinda think I am too scared to go to the USA - there are so many shootings there every day.

At the moment it is Passover time. Any Jewish holiday seems to be a red flag for those very few extremists. But what you don't see from overseas are the vast numbers of Israeli army forces that are visibly on duty everywhere here to help prevent any incidents before they happen.

Today John and I went into the West Bank - Samaria. There were a lot more Israelis visiting the historic sites today because it is an Israeli holiday. As a result the army were out in force at every site, keeping an eye on everything. Never for one second did John and I feel we were unsafe - rather the contrary, when we went to buy a cold drink from one of the Arab-owned cafés at Sebastia the cafe owner GAVE us the drinks. He then brought us free Turkish coffee. Of course, it was clever business because no doubt he hoped we would purchase souvenirs from his shop afterwards, but that is beside the point. He was clearly trying to make us feel welcome as well. We were welcomed wherever we went.

Nablus, is in area A - under the full control of the Palestinians, just like Hebron - but today we were greeted with smiles and friendliness everywhere we went, through the markets and streets - everywhere. It is a very different world to the one we live in back in Australia, but the biggest problem I had today was coping with a hot day in a long sleeved jumper. Maybe I could have taken it off and just worn my t-shirt, but since all the ladies in Nablus were well covered I felt I should be also.

If you have plans to go to places in the West Bank then don't alter them yet. Trust the guide you have chosen to take you on routes and to places that are safe. If he feels one area is a bit unsettled he will suggest another place which may well interest you, which is totally safe.